95 K1500 Eaton TruTrac Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Currently waiting for the UPS guy with my new Eaton TruTrac differential!

I have never swapped in a differential unit before (only done complete "pumpkin" swaps on other cars), so I have been reading lots of information on the install and watching YouTube videos. It seems pretty straight forward, so I don't expect any trouble getting it installed correctly. The only thing I am still a bit nervous about it setting the backlashing on the gear set, but I am armed with some gear compound and a dial gauge.

Any advice from someone who has done a similar install? Theres got to be some tips or writeups I might have missed!

Thanks!

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
If you haven't already installed it, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be sure to have your dial indicator as square to the gear as possible when measuring your backlash. If you're mechanically inclined, you'll be fine. There's a little bit of fudge factor in there. Just take your time and keep stuff clean. Good luck and if you have any questions, ask! We can help.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you haven't already installed it, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be sure to have your dial indicator as square to the gear as possible when measuring your backlash. If you're mechanically inclined, you'll be fine. There's a little bit of fudge factor in there. Just take your time and keep stuff clean. Good luck and if you have any questions, ask! We can help.

I had finished installing the unit today. So far it drives really good on the road, have not had the opportunity to take it off road yet.

I spent a lot of time playing with the backlash trying to find a suitable pattern. Ended up with.008 backlash that had the best looking mesh pattern. A little bit towards the toe side, but I felt I did the best I could do without adjusting the pinion depth. It doesn't make any noise on the highway nor does the pumpkin get any hotter than slightly warm, so I think I'm good.

I originally bought some nice amsoil 80w-90 gear oil only to find out the manual suggests no synthetic oils or friction modifier oils. The only stuff I could find to fit the bill was Walmart 80w-90 gear oil that hold the GL5 rating required. I'll put the amsoil in the front axle I guess.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Good deal. As long as you have no whining or noise, sounds like a successful install to me! If you're using the same gear set, I vouch leaving the pinion depth was the right thing to do (just my opinion). As long as the pattern looked good, should be trouble free. As for gear oil, maybe someone else will chime in. I used OE stuff when I did my install a long time ago since I knew it was compatible with everything.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since the Walmart oil is the best oil for the diff I could find locally is inexpensive, I will probably drain and refill the differential in about a thousand miles to check how the gears are wearing and to drain (if any) metal shavings that came from the trutrac breaking in/manufacturering process.