'95+ Gauge Cluster Lighting Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the dimmer does effect gauge cluster brightness, have to check that. Did you see this thread?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the dimmer does effect gauge cluster brightness, have to check that. Did you see this thread?

It does, but I believe it only effects the main background illumination, not the indicators.

I knew I'd seen a thread where someone posted bulb numbers, thank you! Now between that thread and this one it looks like we have all the part numbers with and without the sockets included.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does, but I believe it only effects the main background illumination, not the indicators.
I just checked and the whole cluster including the gauges go from complete dark to full brightness with dimmer switch.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just checked and the whole cluster including the gauges go from complete dark to full brightness with dimmer switch.
indicators would be high beam, turns. possibly others like low fuel lights, check engine lights etc. Those are meant to stay at a fixed brightness. they are meant to stand out as a design. if they are dimming, your printed circuit might have issues

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
indicators would be high beam, turns. possibly others like low fuel lights, check engine lights etc. Those are meant to stay at a fixed brightness. they are meant to stand out as a design. if they are dimming, your printed circuit might have issues
No, df2x4 is asking if dimmer controls brightness of cluster gauges. At least in mine it does. I’m not having any issues.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, df2x4 is asking if dimmer controls brightness of cluster gauges. At least in mine it does. I’m not having any issues.

I was actually wondering about the indicators like AuroraGirl described, I knew the gauges themselves could be dimmed down. It doesn't appear that the dimmers in my trucks effect the turn signal indicators, CEL, SES light, etc. Just the gauges and the PRND321 indicator backlight.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first car had the High beam indicator smack square center in the cluster, it was oddly large, and it was BRIGHT. Early on I pondered it and did the analyses on it, because that blinding blue d*** being like doctor manhattan when everything else is dark lol

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a side note I’ve seen plenty of “blown bulbs” that the filament will break then swing around inside the bulb and weld itself back on causing an erratic works-doesn’t work-works situation.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just as a side note I’ve seen plenty of “blown bulbs” that the filament will break then swing around inside the bulb and weld itself back on causing an erratic works-doesn’t work-works situation.

@1998_K1500_Sub just mentioned this in another thread as well. I'm thinking you guys are probably right. It's still working though... Knock on wood...