'95+ Gauge Cluster Lighting Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed earlier today that the indicator for my right turn signal in the Suburban's gauge cluster is not functioning, I'm assuming the bulb is burned out. I'd like to go ahead and replace all the bulbs when the cluster comes out as they're all original and likely near their EOL, but I'm not sure how many bulbs and what sizes to get. I do NOT want to convert to LED, I just want factory incandescent replacements if possible. I know the six main illumination bulbs are 194s, but I'm not too sure about everything else. My questions are as follows:

1.) Does anyone have a complete list of all the factory bulbs necessary for a '95+ cluster? (Especially curious about the turn signal indicators)

2.) Do all the other bulbs get replaced the same way the main six illumination 194s do, IE twist the socket slightly and they pop out of the cluster?

3.) Does the factory dimmer wheel effect the brightness of any of the indicator lights? It doesn't appear to in either of my trucks with the exception of the gear indicator backlight, but that might not even have its own bulb, I'm not sure. If it doesn't I may be inclined to go with LEDs in the indicators. (But once again, what sizes are necessary?)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3.) Does the factory dimmer wheel effect the brightness of any of the indicator lights? It doesn't appear to in either of my trucks
Pretty sure it does not.

Just something I wanted to note is 168 bulbs are the same base and size as 194 but less wattage so if you’re interested in having your indicators less bright you could use those instead.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just something I wanted to note is 168 bulbs are the same base and size as 194 but less wattage so if you’re interested in having your indicators less bright you could use those instead.

Isn't that the other way around? I thought 168s were the brighter ones.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are correct. I am wrong.

Hey if you want your indicators to be brighter you could use 168s instead of 194s. :burnout:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, I just Googled it too, looks like a standard 194 is rated at 3.8 watts and a 168 is 4.9 watts.

Now you've got me thinking though...

I wonder if the main six illumination bulbs are actually 168s from the factory? In all the LED conversion guides I see they're listed as 194 replacements, but the bases are the same as 168s... I've never checked either of my trucks so I'm not sure what they are.

Anyone who's been in one of these clusters before feel free to chime in, just looking for as much info as I can get before I start buying bulbs.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I just Googled it too, looks like a standard 194 is rated at 3.8 watts and a 168 is 4.9 watts.

Now you've got me thinking though...

I wonder if the main six illumination bulbs are actually 168s from the factory? In all the LED conversion guides I see they're listed as 194 replacements, but the bases are the same as 168s... I've never checked either of my trucks so I'm not sure what they are.

Anyone who's been in one of these clusters before feel free to chime in, just looking for as much info as I can get before I start buying bulbs.
Hhmmmmm. The thick plottens…

I think I remember there being 194s in mine. I also THINK I remember the other twist base socket bulbs in there being smaller. I also THINK that most of the twist base socket bulbs were the type that the bulb was not removable from the twist base. (Could’ve been just the smaller ones)

Glad I can offer so much vague help :anitoof: :anitoof: :anitoof:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
161 bulbs are the lower wattage ones.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've actually helped more than you think!

I just found this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Of course they don't give any of the actual bulb sizes, but at around 3:10 he pulls out one of the turn signal indicators. I don't know what the hell that is, but it's definitely smaller than a 194.

I also THINK that most of the twist base socket bulbs were the type that the bulb was not removable from the twist base. (Could’ve been just the smaller ones)

That sounds logical. Just for the hell of it I'm going to try and pull up a GM parts diagram, but seeing as these smaller indicator bulbs don't seem to be affected by the dimmer I'm leaning more towards replacing them with LEDs.

What did you replace them with in your truck? Or did you at all?

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think I actually replaced any bulbs, a couple of the main ambient bulbs were out and I think I took the abs indicator and maybe the cel indicator and moved them to the ambient sockets because those 2 were constantly illuminated and I don’t want a constant reminder lol

As far as LEDs go I have seen some hot spotting in some other clusters. The diodes can be a pretty direct beam versus the unfocused and diffused light of an incandescent bulb. They do make LEDs with lenses to mimic an incandescent but you’re not going to find them at the autoparts store.

I believe those little skinny bulbs are 74s? Or a t5 base?