95 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne Stepside 4.3 V6 restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neozzick

Reaction score
I see RPO code B86, that's body side molding- color. Our Silverado truck has B96, which lists the moldings as "Bright" for chrome. So it looks like someone put your truck under the knife at some point.

Although further look into the RPO's shows:

B30 CARPET,FLOOR AND WHEELHOUSE
VK3 LICENSE PLATE,FRONT MOUNTING PACKAGE
V22 GRILLE,RADIATOR(CHROME)

Can't find anything for RSA, R8W, R9A, SLM or VXS.

So I'd say someone put the bright trim on it and changed the front bumper- I don't see the bracket or the holes and the notches in the rub strip for it. Although I don't remember a chrome grille on the base trucks with glass headlights. Perhaps another member could chime in to let us know if the uplevel grille was indeed possible on a base level truck.

The kid who owned it was big into altering his trucks cosmetically, which he did continue to do so. He lived a few streets down and I remember specifically he got another truck and changed the front end to an Escalade on a newer Silverado. So it’s highly likely that this was done as you say.

Would this be considered a frowned upon thing in the collector community? Or is it not really that big of a deal?

djss

Reaction score
I had a friend that bought a new 95 Cheyenne with the appearance package, it looked like a Silverado on the outside but inside it had the Cheyenne seat and door panels. It also had carpet. I would bet it came that way. His was badged as a Cheyenne. I am not sure of the option codes.

dj_taboo

Reaction score
My Cheyenne came with the composite headlights and chrome grill. Also the black and chrome side trim. The floor is vinyl though. I might carpet it some day.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Didn't realize the appearance package later became optional on base level trucks, thought it was a mid level option and standard on Silverado/SLE. Looking through the option list for '89, I found Scottsdales & SLX trucks were standard with single headlights and black bumpers. My Scottsdale was ordered with chrome bumpers and the quad eye arrangement. My wife's '92 looks weird because it is a Silverado yet has the base black rear bumper. Hard finding rear bumpers at boneyards that aren't already bhoned.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasn't there a WT "Work Truck" trim added to the lineup at some point? I've seen plenty of the single, large single headlight grill in the 97-00 trucks, but I think those were the WT? I don't really know.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wasn't there a WT "Work Truck" trim added to the lineup at some point? I've seen plenty of the single, large single headlight grill in the 97-00 trucks, but I think those were the WT? I don't really know.
WT did stand for work truck and was and is a trim was a package that started in 89. I had a 93 WT here is a pic after a repaint, and I painted the grill. The rims are OE Silverado. My truck had steel rims when I bought it. Hand crank windows, no power locks, but mine did have AC cruse, and a 4L60E trans, with a 4.3L.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 9

Cheyenne97

Reaction score
My 97 Cheyenne's got the composite headlights and bright trim. Though I do have a rubber floor; no carpet. I had seen some "Cheyennes" with power windows while hunting down my eventual beloved, but some people have told me only the Silverado offered those so I take all trim labels with a grain of salt nowadays. With all the nicknames I give her though, "Cheyenne" is the most consistent (and my favorite) so she's a Cheyenne. Yours looks great to me. I love the color, especially how it still shows the stepside without making it look like so much is going on on the backside of a shortbed. The champagne paint on mine is stock, so like yours it's in OK shape, but I still dust her down every morning and she shines. The hood was repainted a few years before I bought it, and it shows even though it was color matched pretty spot on when you compare it to the painted metal of the interior. But good luck finding any aged daily driver with a galvanized hood that doesn't peel... Right now there's only some peeling around the antenna grommet and where the back tires kick up road debris. I, personally, would suggest getting just the hood touched up for now while you restore more dire components. That makes working on it easier with the peace of mind that you were already thinking of repainting later if you do end up with a couple extra marks or scratches once she's been made mechanically sound and comfortable again.

Funny enough, I bought mine less than a year ago and it had the same dragon floormat on the driver's side, but in blue instead of red.

I'm just boasting now, but my 4.3 IS a Vortec. And sorry for the essay, but I really like yours and it's making me love mine that much more. *adjusts bowtie*

Cheyenne97

Reaction score
I had a friend that bought a new 95 Cheyenne with the appearance package, it looked like a Silverado on the outside but inside it had the Cheyenne seat and door panels. It also had carpet. I would bet it came that way. His was badged as a Cheyenne. I am not sure of the option codes.
Speaking of the badge, mine has the same Cheyenne cab pillar emblem as this one: "CHEYENNE" with a single gold/yellow stripe at the bottom, and cornered edges (rectangle shape). I can only find custom replacements that look the same, and all the restoration catalogs and websites I use have "CHEYENNE" with a gold/yellow line at the top AND at the bottom with an overall rounded/oval shape. I bought some rectangles from amazon.com for the time-being because I'm picky about it, but are those not made by any licensed/reputable makers anymore?