95 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne Stepside 4.3 V6 restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neozzick

Reaction score
I drove this truck in high school (back in 2002.) My father ended up keeping it at his place and now it's time to really give this truck some love. Currently making out a list and having a mechanic go through it to see what shape it's in. Tires definitely have to be changed, dry rotted pretty bad. Shocks are junk, leaking and when I drove it for the first time after all these years, it was a wild bumpy ride.

Obviously needs a new paint job, but it's actually in pretty good condition considering. I never was in a position to do this, but now I am, and it's going to be a fun time.

You must be registered for see images attach

e-fin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. 95 is a Vortec motor correct? If so I personally wouldn’t rush to replace the 4.3. My 98 Cheyenne C1500 LB does just fine with one while getting decent for a pickup mileage. While I ain’t gonna embarrass anybody in a race it’s not like I’m in the way either. Nice and quiet and smooth. Guessing I could have tow package gears so sure that helps. Bet lined up against a stock pre vortec v8 I’d do okay.

Neozzick

Reaction score
Looks pretty good. 95 is a Vortec motor correct? If so I personally wouldn’t rush to replace the 4.3. My 98 Cheyenne C1500 LB does just fine with one while getting decent for a pickup mileage. While I ain’t gonna embarrass anybody in a race it’s not like I’m in the way either. Nice and quiet and smooth. Guessing I could have tow package gears so sure that helps. Bet lined up against a stock pre vortec v8 I’d do okay.

no it is not the vortec

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Needs a new paint job?? Pssh, that's a goin' to town rig for me. I'd just wash up that engine bay, replace the seat, get rid of those floor mats in favor of factory ones and ride on. Shame about the automatic though ;)

Is that truly a Cheyenne? The bright trim and composite headlights are indictive of Silverado. So is the carpeting. I've got a Scottsdale and even that has rubber floors, but the chrome bumper and quad headlights were optional, which it has.

Neozzick

Reaction score
Needs a new paint job?? Pssh, that's a goin' to town rig for me. I'd just wash up that engine bay, replace the seat, get rid of those floor mats in favor of factory ones and ride on. Shame about the automatic though ;)

Is that truly a Cheyenne? The bright trim and composite headlights are indictive of Silverado. So is the carpeting. I've got a Scottsdale and even that has rubber floors, but the chrome bumper and quad headlights were optional, which it has.
You’ve got me questioning the Cheyenne now. The kid who owned it before we bought it, treated it like ****. Would hold the brakes down and slam the gas on, was told by the mechanic when purchased. He could have just slapped that on. The floor mats where a horrible choice by me as a teenager lol

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
..The floor mats where a horrible choice by me as a teenager lol

"Ooo red dragon with claw. Rawr."

Post a pic of the RPO sticker in the glove box. If the VIN there matches the one on the dash, we'll be able to accurately dissect the options of your truck. Aside from the Cheyenne emblems, it looks like Silverado trim.

Neozzick

Reaction score
"Ooo red dragon with claw. Rawr."

Post a pic of the RPO sticker in the glove box. If the VIN there matches the one on the dash, we'll be able to accurately dissect the options of your truck. Aside from the Cheyenne emblems, it looks like Silverado trim.

confirmed it does match

Neozzick

Reaction score
Doing research I see the typical style of the Cheyenne’s in 95 with the square headlights as a defining factor. So it does look Silverado.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I see RPO code B86, that's body side molding- color. Our Silverado truck has B96, which lists the moldings as "Bright" for chrome. So it looks like someone put your truck under the knife at some point.

Although further look into the RPO's shows:

B30 CARPET,FLOOR AND WHEELHOUSE
VK3 LICENSE PLATE,FRONT MOUNTING PACKAGE
V22 GRILLE,RADIATOR(CHROME)

Can't find anything for RSA, R8W, R9A, SLM or VXS.

So I'd say someone put the bright trim on it and changed the front bumper- I don't see the bracket or the holes and the notches in the rub strip for it. Although I don't remember a chrome grille on the base trucks with glass headlights. Perhaps another member could chime in to let us know if the uplevel grille was indeed possible on a base level truck.