95-99 steering column differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
I swear I used a '95 column in a '96, but it was enough years ago that I'm starting to doubt that memory.

In '98 you had Passlock come into play so the column housing and tumbler are a little bit different, wiring will be a little different - it may not be a show-stopper, though. On airbag models the wheel did change; dunno if the wiring did.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do u think i can use 98 suburban column complete on my 96 c1500..i definitely dont have passlock...you think computer will recognize passlock?
Your 1996 PCM has no provisions for Passlock. It didn't come into play until 1998 model in the fullsize trucks. The column should bolt up fine but my concern would be if the connectors are different, or wired different. I haven't used a 1998 column in any older trucks so I've never checked. You can compare the wiring diagrams and connectors in the factory service manuals for both years for more information. The manuals are linked for free download here in the forums.

Richard

gmtruckwoman1

Reaction score
Your 1996 PCM has no provisions for Passlock. It didn't come into play until 1998 model in the fullsize trucks. The column should bolt up fine but my concern would be if the connectors are different, or wired different. I haven't used a 1998 column in any older trucks so I've never checked. You can compare the wiring diagrams and connectors in the factory service manuals for both years for more information. The manuals are linked for free download here in the forums.

Richard
Im a little late but thanks