95 350 Doesn't Like Low Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I'm a fan of tilting the bed, it's not a ton of work and you don't have to wrestle with the tank.

X2 - don't forget to change your filter too.

I tried tilting the bed. I'm a big guy and there just wasn't enough room. Add heat, frustration, busted knuckles and not being able to get the lock ring off the sending unit and ultimately, the tank was pulled.

It's been a long day, and I'm just heading to pick up the parts lol.

I changed the filter 4xxx miles ago when I first started diagnosing the problem. I was hoping a simple clogged filter was all it was. That, and it needed one anyway

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried tilting the bed. I'm a big guy and there just wasn't enough room. Add heat, frustration, busted knuckles and not being able to get the lock ring off the sending unit and ultimately, the tank was pulled.

It's been a long day, and I'm just heading to pick up the parts lol.

I changed the filter 4xxx miles ago when I first started diagnosing the problem. I was hoping a simple clogged filter was all it was. That, and it needed one anyway
Damn, that sucks about the tilt option. I'd probably change the filter anyway, but that's just me. How's it running now?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks about the tilt option. I'd probably change the filter anyway, but that's just me. How's it running now?

Started right up to my surprise. Figured I would have missed something. I primed the pump a couple times but the gauge never showed any pressure. It had done that earlier with the old stuff too but after running for a minute it rose to 9 psi. Not this time. I let the truck idle in the driveway for 10 minutes or so while I cleaned up and the gauge never moved. It’s currently sitting without a driveshaft or the bed bolted down but other than that, it’s pretty much ready to go. The 0psi reading bothers me some so I’m going to mess with it a little tomorrow after work. Ran out of time tonight.

Another thing that kind of bothers me is key on/ engine off, the pump runs for 10 seconds before shutting off. Aren’t they supposed to run for 2ish seconds?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I didn’t notice the sporadic idle that it’s had for the last few months. I’m not calling it fixed yet because of the lack of a gauge reading and the fact that it would sometimes idle and seem to drive normally. But I’m hopeful.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I primed the pump a couple times but the gauge never showed any pressure. It had done that earlier with the old stuff too but after running for a minute it rose to 9 psi.

Pressure on a TBI s/b 11-13psi. It should hold pressure after shutting off the key for at least 30 seconds (not sure exactly how long). Sounds like your pressure regulator is bad?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
key on/ engine off, the pump runs for 10 seconds before shutting off. Aren’t they supposed to run for 2ish seconds?
Some vehicles have a "hot fuel" module that runs the pump longer. I thought that was mostly big-block engines, but I could be wrong.

Pressure on a TBI s/b 11-13psi. It should hold pressure after shutting off the key for at least 30 seconds (not sure exactly how long). Sounds like your pressure regulator is bad?
Pressure for most TBI is 9--13 according to the service manual. Yes, I'd prefer the higher-end of the spectrum.

TBI does not retain pressure.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Considering I never was able to hear my old pump run, ever, I have no clue how long it ran. I doubt my truck has a hot fuel module considering I've never even heard of that and they're mostly used in heavy duty (assuming 2500+) trucks.

I'm going to give the gauge another shot tonight (possibly tomorrow) and see if I can get a pressure reading. I don't believe it's actually 0 psi.

I bought this pump, in case I may have ordered the wrong one or something.
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/ado-ep386

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The fuel pump should prime with first koeo until it builds pressure or until a set amount of time if pressure is not built up