95 350 Doesn't Like Low Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Sounds like an egr issue, you have the light throttle romp, romp? Just try unhooking the egr, plugging the vacuum line and capping the vacuum port on the valve and see if the issue changes or quits.
I think you maybe have solved my issue. I capped the egr just like you said, went for a quick (5 mile round trip) drive and I had no issues whatsoever. I'm going to drive it for a few days and see if it's consistent before replacing the valve.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
If its the valve, go with AC Delco only. TBI's are really picky with egr's

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Drove it to class. Didn't think it was going to make it. From the time I left my house halfway (about 15 minutes into the trip), every time I gave any throttle input, it would hesitate. Then feel like it downshifted two gears and then screamed. I pushed the pedal once to pass someone and it was a solid two seconds before anything happened. Every time I took off from a stop, again, it would hesitate, not want to move, felt like it was going to die. After that 15ish minutes, it was fine. Idle was awful too.

I've had the egr capped off for about a month now. Money is tight, it seemed to run 10x better with it capped off so I planned to leave it until I had the spare cash. Anyway, never bypassed an egr before, could this be a symptom of that or am I looking at another issue needing to be addressed? I just ordered the valve because it needs it anyway but thought I'd ask. I'm going to pull the plugs this weekend and see what condition they're in too.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Depends on how you blocked the EGR, but an EGR stuck open would cause those symptoms. Little to no idle with the engine running better at higher RPM/load.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
capped the vaccum pot on the egr, capped the vaccum line going to the egr.

Got my egr valve in and it was the wrong one. That's what I get for winging it. Rockauto doesn't sell an ACDelco replacement for my GM part # egr. My current valve is GM 17087194 and there are several that are replacements for mine from Standard, WVE, and Delphi instead of Delco. So that's a bummer. Have the return authorized and a Delphi on the way.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
New EGR has been in for five-ish days now and it's still not running right. Idling in the driveway this morning, the tach jumped an dropped about 200 rpm over, and over, and over (surging is what I think it's called). When I took of down the street, I could feel it hesitate before taking off. Not horrible, but I could definitely tell something was off. Like I was anticipating the acceleration so I leaned into it and ultimately just leaned forward because nothing really happened. Its still driveable, I'm just so ready to have it running right.

Tomorrow, I'll do what I said I would and pull plugs, check map, check o2, check IAC, check fuel pressure if oreillys or autozone will rent a fuel pressure tester.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Harbor freight sells a fuel pressure tester too

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight sells a fuel pressure tester too
If a diagnostic tool gives you a false reading, you could spend hours chasing the WRONG problem.

The chances of getting false readings from a diagnostic tool increase as the tool quality decreases.

Why buy a diagnostic tool from a company that's infamous for selling bottom-feeder crap?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
CEL popped up Saturday on my way to work, pulled codes, it was Code 44 - Lean o2 again. Cleared codes and drove it yesterday and the CEL popped up. Pulled codes, Code 44. Also, I was well below 1/4 tank of gas, the truck barely wanted to run. Every time I took off from a stop it would bog down. I know letting it get that low is not advisable, however, it's never behaved his way the other times I've neglected to fill it up the night before. Filled her up and she ran much better. Anyway, today I finally had time to check fuel pressure.

Key ON/Engine OFF - 6 psi
Cranking - 6 psi
Idle - 9 psi
Running with Load - 9 psi
Key OFF/Engine OFF - 9 psi dropped to zero within 30 seconds (normal I think)

There was no change in pressure when pinching the return line ruling out the FPR. According to the service manual, I'm looking at an in tank issue (pump, hoses, clogged strainer), which is what I expected.

Now I get to decide whether to drop the tank or mess with tilting the bed. I'll probably go the bed route.