94 Chevy K2500, 350 5 spd catastrophic electrical failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blevins22

Reaction score
Truck is old, used and abused over the years as a welding rig at one point. I put a lot of work into it after picking it up for cheap last summer, and got it to last me through the winter as a DD on rough dirt/icy roads and trips into town. It has been a great vehicle for its purpose and age (195k miles, rebuilt trans 2k ago).

The other day I was driving up said rough road and I heard a loud clunk, gas pedal dropped and the truck shut off immediately. Upon inspection under the hood, I found that two large plugs had been pulled from their sockets attached to the firewall. I crawled under the truck and sure enough the driveshaft had grabbed onto some piece of a rats nest of wire right below the oil filter and yanked, ripping 5-10 different wires completely apart (ranging from about 12 ga to 18 ga).

The under hood lightbulb began smoking intensely so I pulled the battery cables. Any ideas what exactly might have been damaged (fuel pump/fuse box?), where I might begin if I wanted to fix it, and suggestions on how to part it out or sell it would be greatly appreciated.

pic of plugs pulled from sockets
https://imgur.com/gallery/LqRKiCC

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Brake light relay (if I recall for the CHMSL - 3rd brake light, this separate relay is only on 1994 models) and the other is your wiper motor.

Sounds like your underhood harness is a mess. I'd try finding a same-year parts truck with a similar setup - engine/trans/4WD and get the harness from it. 1993 will be very similar to your 1994. Since you've got a manual trans, 1992 and maybe 1991 will be close. Skip 1995, and absolutely skip 1996-up - totally different.

Richard