94 c1500 big block swap (not tbi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Show me where a 9.5" semi float 14 bolt is stronger than a 9" or a Dana 60. That's why drag racers, street rods, hi horse power cars/truck all run one?? Yes for bolt in ease it might be the cheapest/simplest, but not the strongest. A 10 bolt can be a strong axle, just not in stock form. I've seen a lot of hi horse cars/trucks running the 10 bolt, they can survive hi horsepower. Welding perches is not that difficult. I ran a 7.5" stock rear in my 79 Malibu with a healthy 454 and a 4-speed, posi with 295/50s, people were taking bets what was gonna blow first, the Saginaw or the rear, nothing did.

Dominooch89

Reaction score
Yeah, you can spend real money getting a "new" custom axle, or a used, kludged-up mess that you hope has the leaf spring and shock mounts welded-on at the correct location and angle.

Or you can dig a stronger axle out of a 2500 or 3500 at a Treasure Yard for peanuts; and it bolts right in except for the U-joint.

Question is that a 8 lug in the 10.5 or do they come 6

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 10.5” is a full float 8 lug. There is hubs to convert to 6 lug but kinda dumb IMO. Semi float 9.5” has both 6 n 8 lug, and the hard to find 5 lug from the SS454.

Dominooch89

Reaction score
The 10.5” is a full float 8 lug. There is hubs to convert to 6 lug but kinda dumb IMO. Semi float 9.5” has both 6 n 8 lug, and the hard to find 5 lug from the SS454.

Damn the knowledge has been dropped thanks to everyone for educating me further. I’ve been researching and it looks like while spending money I might as well go ford 9 inch I don’t think I want 8 lug but I’m still deciding. Still have to send the block out for machine work. I did some research and looks like monster transmission makes a 4l80e for up to 950hp application which I’ll never reach nor want to. So that eliminates a lot of bs and it comes with a 3 year warranty. Seems like that’s settled just have to figure the rear out fully now again thanks guys

unruhjonny

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please post pictures, and keep us updated on your progress!
My old boss had a truck like mine (an '88) that he swapped to a big block - that thing was beastly!!
If I was to deviate from 100% stock on my truck (which I have absolutely no plan to do right now), I'd go directly to the drivetrain, put a bigger carbureted engine in place, and probably convert it to 2wd with a manual transmission...

Dominooch89

Reaction score
Don't buy a monster transmission. They have a terrible reputation. If you want a 4L80E I'd look at Jake's Performance in Texas.

Damn I had no idea thanks. But they did say for 300 I can get a 3 year guarantee, which sounds great to me. And that’s a mistake I meant 4l60e because it would be a lot easier on wiring, spedo, rpm and no trans computer needed. Even if I go somewhere else do you thing a 4l60e rated to 900+ hp is bs?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even if I go somewhere else do you thing a 4l60e rated to 900+ hp is bs?

Considering I killed a $2500 one with a stock 4.3L V6, I'd say so. There's always that one guy who runs huge HP/TQ and says he has no issues, but that is definitely not the norm. If you're trying to make power with an auto go with a 4L80E for sure. You will save yourself a ton of money and headaches.

X2 on staying away from Monster. Seriously, just Google reviews on them. What good is a $300 3 year guarantee if they won't honor it?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a "stage 2, 600HP" 700R4 from Transmission Depot (paid $2200) that has a 3 year warranty. It's not acting right. won't shift from 2 - 3 at WOT and freewheels when shift from 3 - 4 at WOT when I run with less throttle it shifts hard but OK. Now the good part - their warranty states that I have to pull the trans and ship it to them (across country), then they'll look at it. What good is that? I'm just gonna try to find a reputable shop around here and have it fixed.

Don't buy a trans from Transmission Depot either!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a "stage 2, 600HP" 700R4 from Transmission Depot (paid $2200) that has a 3 year warranty. It's not acting right. won't shift from 2 - 3 at WOT and freewheels when shift from 3 - 4 at WOT when I run with less throttle it shifts hard but OK. Now the good part - their warranty states that I have to pull the trans and ship it to them (across country), then they'll look at it. What good is that? I'm just gonna try to find a reputable shop around here and have it fixed.

Don't buy a trans from Transmission Depot either!

Junkyard 4L80Es are pretty cheap... You've already got the tuning part covered with minimal research I'd imagine. Just a thought.