94 c1500 big block swap (not tbi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Junkyard 4L80Es are pretty cheap... You've already got the tuning part covered with minimal research I'd imagine. Just a thought.
I've been thinking about that but I'd have to run a separate trans controller since my EBL doesn't do electronic trans. It's not really a game stopper but a little more work and $$$

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been thinking about that but I'd have to run a separate trans controller since my EBL doesn't do electronic trans. It's not really a game stopper but a little more work and $$$

Is there an equivalent unit that you could upgrade to which would do both? I'm generally very unfamiliar with the pre-'96 trucks PCM/wiring but I know that the 4L80E was available in these trucks since the early '90s. Were some of the early PCMs capable of running both the engine and transmission or were they always separate systems?

Sorry for the thread derail, curiosity got the best of me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were some of the early PCMs capable of running both the engine and transmission or were they always separate systems?
In late 92 or early 93 they came out with the 7060 PCM then, in 94 the 7427 PCM (among others but these were the most common), IIRC. My 88 came with the 7747 ECM (years 88 - 91), way slower baud rate (160 instead of 8192?) and smaller tables. I modified it to accept flash chips (27SF512) but, it just wasn't powerful enough to do what I wanted so I switched to the Dynamic EFI EBL Flash2 (8192) which has extended tables, can run boost and N2O plus, it has the auto learn VE function as well as 8 "Banks" so I can keep 8 different tunes on-board like "Valet", Economy, Tow, etc. AND I can flash each bank in ~4 seconds with my laptop. If I were to go to a PCM like the 7427 I'd want to add an emulator so I can flash instead of "Burn" a chip. It'd be simpler to just get an aftermarket trans controller and wire it in, IMHO.

Edit: plus I'm running with a WBO2 on the EBL for way better AFR controls.