94 A/C Ready to Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Queso Del Rio

Reaction score
I've never bought parts from GDP, so you might want to check with them about flushing the system yourself as far as the warranty goes. Will they honor you "buying" the flushing components/solvent or require a "work order" showing someone else did it?
At the top of the RockAuto link you posted;
"Fulfill Warranty Requirements: A/C Compressors returned under warranty must show proof of purchase of the A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve) and A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator."

BUT...

At the bottom of the RockAuto link you posted;
"GPD Warranty Information:
12 months. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: In order to ensure that proper warranty credit is issued if needed, the compressor installation instructions must be adhered to. All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed."
I,ve had nightmares with this type of wordplay with Auto Bone in the past.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never bought parts from GDP, so you might want to check with them about flushing the system yourself as far as the warranty goes. Will they honor you "buying" the flushing components/solvent or require a "work order" showing someone else did it?
At the top of the RockAuto link you posted;
"Fulfill Warranty Requirements: A/C Compressors returned under warranty must show proof of purchase of the A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve) and A/C Receiver Drier / Accumulator."

BUT...

At the bottom of the RockAuto link you posted;
"GPD Warranty Information:
12 months. IMPORTANT A/C COMPRESSOR WARRANTY NOTE: In order to ensure that proper warranty credit is issued if needed, the compressor installation instructions must be adhered to. All compressors returned for defect must show proof of purchase of an A/C Orifice Tube (or A/C Expansion Valve), A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator, and A/C System Flush or a Work Order showing the purchase of these items and that the system was flushed."
I,ve had nightmares with this type of wordplay with Auto Bone in the past.
I’ve dealt with warranting an AC Delco compressor from rock auto. I bought flush and drier from Advance Auto, then had to hunt down copies of receipts when the POS crapped out. I ended up finding the original receipts later, right where I “hid” them. Go figure.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm finally at the point where I need to get the A/C working again in the 94. It's been sitting and I've been fixing everything else the past year and a half. It's a R134A system. Rock Auto has a kit that uses a scroll replacement compressor. Is that any good? They write it up as being better, quieter....?? Is that true? has anyone used this setup? The picture of it has a plug where the switch should thread in. And a small pigtail connector hanging out front? I'm just skeptical that it's an easy replacement. They list the stock type compressor as well. I'm just trying to see it it's worth switching to a scroll type. Here is a link to it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12710309&cc=1050994&jsn=1977

Never did any A/C but I'm going to give it a go. Any help would be appreciated.

I installed the R4 Scroll a couple years ago. Still going strong. The R4's I tried before the scroll kept blowing case seals after a heat soak. No noticeable performance loss. I stay cool when its 110+ out.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the R4 Scroll a couple years ago. Still going strong. The R4's I tried before the scroll kept blowing case seals after a heat soak. No noticeable performance loss. I stay cool when its 110+ out.

Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to give that a go too. Last question is should I replace the original rubber/metal lines to everything? Or just replace the seals?

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve dealt with warranting an AC Delco compressor from rock auto. I bought flush and drier from Advance Auto, then had to hunt down copies of receipts when the POS crapped out. I ended up finding the original receipts later, right where I “hid” them. Go figure.
Haha, I have done that exact thing! Too funny. Last vacation I thought I better hide my key ring with all my important keys that I would not want someone to find. Including the house key. We left for a week at the shore and got home at the end of a bad thunderstorm in the middle of the night. Power was out and I couldn't get into the house. Everyone was tired and a little mad at me that night! Best part of the story is after power came on and I woke up the next day, I searched over an hour trying to find my darn keys! And they were in the first spot I looked, just under a towel I had put in there. Gettin olds a PITA.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'm pretty sure I'm going to give that a go too. Last question is should I replace the original rubber/metal lines to everything? Or just replace the seals?

If they are original, I would replace them just for piece of mind, but really depends on how they look/function. At the min, flush them.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the oil with dye-I said it before and I will repeat everytime to everyone. I'm still fighting with my ac after multiple parts failed. One after another. And if it wasn't for dye I wouldn't know which one did. The weakest link first. When using dye often you don't even ir torch-you'll see it.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they are original, I would replace them just for piece of mind, but really depends on how they look/function. At the min, flush them.
They actually look to be in excellent condition on the outside anyways. I'll research some new ones and see what I'm looking at to get a set.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the oil with dye-I said it before and I will repeat everytime to everyone. I'm still fighting with my ac after multiple parts failed. One after another. And if it wasn't for dye I wouldn't know which one did. The weakest link first. When using dye often you don't even ir torch-you'll see it.
Thanks for the tip!

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One box came yesterday, the rest is supposed to be here today. I think I'll try to document this A/C repair to maybe help someone out. I usually get involved in the work and forget to take pics. Here is the flush kit I got today.

You must be registered for see images attach

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Got the rest of the stuff for my A/C redo. The condenser didn't survive the shipping very well. Lol! I decided to replace those lines too so I ordered them yesterday just to be safe. Now I just have to search up that thread about what to lube the A/C seals with. I read it a couple different times but I have CRS so I'll have to search it up again. Getting closer anyways. If I get this installed and working I may just have to get this thing licensed and insured and start driving it! Right after Memorial weekend it's going to my buddies body shop to get some work done, possibly repaint hood and roof and repair a few dings here and there. Then buffed out real good.