'94 350: good cold starts, struggles to crank when restarting or still warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is the battery to engine block suppose to be per factory? Haha mine was on the AC compressor bolt.

Almost finished installing everything

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Seems to depend on the year. On my wife's '92, I believe it goes to one of the intake bolts. On my '89, it's behind the A/C compressor bracket.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Seems to depend on the year. On my wife's '92, I believe it goes to one of the intake bolts. On my '89, it's behind the A/C compressor bracket.
On my 99 vortec 5.7 Burb that one goes to the right side of the block, by where the mechanical fuel pump would be. The stud is in the front of the block.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
aka 'A little knowledge is dangerous'.
My dad used to describe it as "knowing just enough about it to get yourself in trouble ".....we saw that a lot in the parts store.
Also why I put every starter and alternator we sold on the testing bench before it went out the door. People loaded up the parts cannon even in the 80s. And we would try to help with diagnosis too, to be sure that we sold you the parts you actually needed.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya I threw it on a bolt front lower passenger side of the block. The bolt that goes thru the bottom accessory brackets into the block. Figured get it as close to on the block as possible

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Just has to go somewhere on the block. I think the intake bolt is pretty dumb though. I might've changed it on my wife's truck already.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I got the factory positive cables on now.

With the follow Grounding side:
-2ga battery to front block by harmonic balancer

-2ga battery to frame
-2ga frame to AC compressor
-4ga frame to Alternator

-6ga battery to front clip
-6ga front clip to firewall

Is the 'grounding strap' from the rear cylinder head to the firewall really needed with how I am currently?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not needed. Not a bad idea either. Are you trying to keep it factory, or do you just want it to run good? Do you plan on doing a lot of engine swaps? Wiring my race car up from scratch, I have a ground on the front of the block and a ground on the transmission bellhousing. There's also only six wires on the engine harness, so take that as you will. I think the ground on the alternator is probably a good idea.