93 K3500 Fuel/performance problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like there is a screen on the tbi ? Im assuming at the fuel inlet ?
There are 2 screens on each injector. One that slides up around the bottom and a tiny one that goes in a hole in the side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, TBIs are just as easy as carbs to rebuild
Much easier.

No tiny fuel or air passages to unclog, or to verify as free-flowing. No idle mixture screws. No need to dick with the idle speed screw most of the time.

No adjusting of float level, choke pulloff, choke tension.

The worst part of rebuilding either would be re-bushing the throttle shaft. 2-barrel carb to 2-barrel TBI, not much difference either way.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a tech, I interned with a coworker who had been a GM tech. I bought an '81 Camaro with a Quadrajet on a 305 and one of the first things I did was rebuild the carburetor. No sooner did I finish and he whipped out a wooden box full of Q-Jet specific tools. He spent an hour and adjusted everything to spec. It ran perfect, but it took an expert an hour to set it up right. Fuel injection is absolutely superior.

lindy55

Reaction score
Quadrajets are okay when they work right. They can be a problem. On the other hand, I've bolted on a lot of edelbrocks that ran great for years right out of the box. Sorry but I'd rather have a carburetor than fuel injection. Even racing, I'm out there running while the guys are sitting there trying to dial in there injection system to match the conditions. That's my opinion.