93' K1500 complete exhaust question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Carver

Reaction score
I have a 1993 Chevy K1500 ext. cab short bed and want to know if anyone can suggest a good complete exhaust system from the headers back with no cats and true dual if possible? I want something that will breath really well, especially after I stroke the current 350 to a 383.

Thanks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"No cats" and "true dual" will violate Federal law.

The newer Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Cudas, etc. seem to have no problems making 500+ HP using a fully-emissions-compliant exhaust system.

Ian Carver

Reaction score

The newer Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Cudas, etc. seem to have no problems making 500+ HP using a fully-emissions-compliant exhaust system.
I am aware of Federal Laws. Off-road truck only.

TXDevilDog

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Having a modern fuel injected engine with computer based tuning will do that.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is true duals violate Federal law?? I had a 90 GMC that i built 20 years ago. Put headers n a Y-pipe, single 3" inlet muffer. Took the cat off when put headers on. NYS is 2nd to Cali when it comes to emissions n BS, and truck passed inspections.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is true duals violate Federal law?? I had a 90 GMC that i built 20 years ago. Put headers n a Y-pipe, single 3" inlet muffer. Took the cat off when put headers on. NYS is 2nd to Cali when it comes to emissions n BS, and truck passed inspections.

Evidently they don't care in NY. It's a pretty healthy fine for the tech and the shop for passing one without cats. They have been federally mandated on light duty trucks since 1978. It's pretty hard to get one passed these days illegally.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe where you are. Only thing shops get in trouble for is doing too many in a day.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm very well aware of the inspections here. Being doing it for almost 30 years. Im still waiting to see where its against federal law to have dual exhaust. Each state is different, even here, every inspection is different. I live in a relatively small town, where in less its obvious, cops don't give a ****. They are after bigger fish, like real crimes not petty emissions ****. But back to OP question, might have to have a system built, no one that I know of makes a bolt on system.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I've always understood it, if your vehicle did not have dual exhaust as an option, it was a violation to change the configuration. That said, most places don't care. At the local Pull-A-Part here most of the trucks have dual 2" exhausts with Flowmasters and no cats. When I put a new exhaust on my Suburban, I went with dual 2.5" exhaust, spent the money on two 2.5" cats, and collected the exhaust at the muffler.

For my Stepside I'm planning on the following:
Hedman full-length headers 69440
Flowmaster Catalytic Converters 2250225 x2
Jones X-pipe SXP4
Cherry Bomb Salute Mufflers SA1226 x2
Walker exhaust pipe 49008 x2

My plans change a bit as Summit's prices wander up and down a bit, but right now I'm looking at about $500.