92 5.7L air intake disassembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I had a mouse problem - they setup a house in my air intake. They chewed a larger hole in the inner piece of my air intake, but I don't know how/if these two pieces come apart? I got 4 mice out, but it now smells like death and there is still something between the inner and outer pieces of the intake.

Thoughts?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hole probably belongs there. The mice may have enlarged it--or maybe not. They've got droppings and nest material in there. The air filter should catch that crap; and the throttle body doesn't have a sense of smell.

Wild Guess 'cause I've never dicked with this: The inner tube pushes out of the outer housing, once you pop the molded tabs apart. I say this based on the photo showing an obvious inner sleeve inside the oval housing. But for all I know, GM welds those two pieces of plastic together.

If you can't get it cleaned-out, get another at the Treasure Yard.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the hole is there on purpose; that device is a resonator - supposed to tame the sound of the incoming air. Trash the mouse-filled one for a clean one. ;)

Richard

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be searching the treasure yard for a replacement if I can't clean this one out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A hacksaw blade fits through that hole so you can cut that piece apart, yank it out, and get more airflow.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
cut the outer flange off closest to the fender and the hourglass just pushes out. That hourglass is for federal drive by noise standards. Supposedly if it is removed you gain 10 horsepower but I've not seen a dyno run to prove it. It can also be replaced with the tubing of your choice.