89 Silverado 700r4 to 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Actually that sensor you are talking about is the BARO sensor. The boost sensor is on the intake and has its little stub in a hole to read the boost pressure. In your defense they both look like a MAP sensor on a gasser.
OK, thanks for the correction. I'll confess to limited knowledge by choice. F those engines. :D

The vacuum pump also runs EGR on the 6.5's in the half ton trucks.
Makes sense the lighter duty trucks would have an EGR, I guess. Higher GVWR models possibly exempt at that time. I've seen a few 1500's with 6.5td for sale but never seen one in person.

Richard

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the correction. I'll confess to limited knowledge by choice.

Same here. Few and far between.

I've seen a few 1500's with 6.5td for sale but never seen one in person.

Not me. I began my career in ~ '98, college degree in '03.
While they're probably still around, the VAST majority of services I've performed have been on the Duramax or Power Smoke. The power and smooth running qualities put the old oil burners to pasture long long ago.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.5td's do. Have you looked at one?

No. I havent had one in my shop in probably 5 years or so. They're quite a unicorn if I even hear one cruising down the road.
Same for 12 valve Cummins. The trucks they were in have long rotted away in New Yuck's salty winters.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the correction. I'll confess to limited knowledge by choice. F those engines. :D

Makes sense the lighter duty trucks would have an EGR, I guess. Higher GVWR models possibly exempt at that time. I've seen a few 1500's with 6.5td for sale but never seen one in person.

Richard
If i remember right the 8600 GVW where exempt at the time. I guess I can't complain about my 6.5. I've had a couple issues with it but It was 28 year old wiring that was the problem. It does what I want it to do. I know I'm never going to be able to tow what the next gen diesels can let alone what the current ones can. Will it break on me, yes it will, will I fix it, maybe depending on what breaks. Its still cheaper then a car payment.
No. I havent had one in my shop in probably 5 years or so. They're quite a unicorn if I even hear one cruising down the road.
Same for 12 valve Cummins. The trucks they were in have long rotted away in New Yuck's salty winters.
Depending on how much snow I get tonight and if I can remember I can get you a picture of the pump if you would like. Its nothing special. If i remember right it looks very similar to the ford pump. It mounts in the same place as the A.I.R pump on the gas engines that where equipped with it.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
map is used to measure load such as detecting driving on flat ground and suddenly hitting a hill. if TPS stays the same, how does it know to downshift? is it purley based on vehicle speed at this point? i thought map was mixed in there, but maybe not on GM stuff.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ignore those. They're nonsensical and childish. I "put away childish things" many years ago. Likely before they were invented...
Not me, sir. I had to become an adult at a very early age and earn my own keep, yet somehow I refuse to grow up. I'm a serious clown. Or I'm serious about clowning? Hell, I don't even know anymore.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just ignore those. They're nonsensical and childish. I "put away childish things" many years ago. Likely before they were invented...
I don't use emoticons much, but they do serve a more sophisticated purpose. One of the common complaints of a mostly-text format like this forum is that you can't convey non-verbal cues, like facial expression. Emoticons allow you to give non-verbal cues along with your satire. They can seem childish because some people overuse them to cover the lack of depth in what they're saying. I don't judge people as childish when they use them appropriately.