89 Silverado 700r4 to 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wittensville

Reaction score
I have an 89 Silverado with a 5.7 tbi and a dying 700r4. I have acquired a 94 2500 with a 5.7 and a 4l80e. I would like to know what parts I would have to change to do a swap.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have an entire donor truck, you have all the parts you need: the tranny, cooler lines, wiring harness, ECM, torque converter, (t-case if equipped), output yoke.
Though you might need a conversion u-joint... Moog 447 or equivalent, and depending in wheelbase differences which you didn't mention, there's also driveshaft modification possible

Last edited:

wittensville

Reaction score
You have an entire donor truck, you have all the parts you need: the tranny, cooler lines, wiring harness, ECM, torque converter, (t-case if equipped), output yoke.
Though you might need a conversion u-joint... Moog 447 or equivalent, and depending in wheelbase differences which you didn't mention, there's also driveshaft modification possible
Thanks, do I have to change the harness under the dash?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Another option is getting a stand-alone trans controller, pretty expensive though. I haven't done this YET, but have been looking at options.

www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/automatic-transmission-controllers/transmission-make/gm

Meh, the stock one works just fine and can be tuned and is on hand. Seems to me the engine harness and PCM ought to be swapped out. The added trans wiring should pass through the firewall on the passenger's side. There is no mention of 2wd 4wd on either the donor or the recipient. If those are different that throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing. How about wheelbases? The driveshaft length will be different between the 2.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, the stock one works just fine and can be tuned and is on hand. Seems to me the engine harness and PCM ought to be swapped out
Yeah, and that's why I've been researching it since then, I lose my EBL Flash-II ECM if I do that. Or run both computers in parallel. Just looking at other options...

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year of the 80 has the standalone? I know it's a TBI truck but I can never remember the year.
@someotherguy is it 94?
Wouldn't it be a pre-electronic injection 6.5td (and 6.2 of course) that just has a standalone transmission controller? In that case it would be 1991-1993 diesels only.

Richard