89 Shortbed build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caseman221

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just finally stumbling on the site. Iv been over at Fullsize for a while here and there.

This is a build Thread for my 89 shortbox. Iv had the truck since i was 16. I bought the truck from a guy up the street for short money. When i first got it it needed a bumper, drivers fender, grille and hood. This is where it all started. The hood was replaced with a cowl induction, the old w/t grille was replaced with the 88-93 chevy grille, the chrome bumper was replaced with a paint able smoothie. While all this was being done the rear dumper was done away with and a roll pan filled its spot. The truck was then painted Victory Red with sliver racing stripes on the hood. It sat like that for the first year. After a year i was ready for a new look and found some 18inch boss 304s, that really made the truck, BUT that just wasn't enough. Stock height just wasn't cutting it anymore. So i got a 4/6 lowering kit. Senior year of highschool i was elected "Best Car" in the year book. By this point the truck was starting to show its wear of a high school kid. Dings, scratches, small rust spots ect. I purchased a 86 gmc (which ovb didnt stay the way i bought it long either.but that is another story) and parked the 89.

What was supposed to be replacing the bed fixing the rockers and cab corners. Turned into Gmc Grille 94+ GMC grille swap, shaved door handles, new bed, tucked front bumper and LSX swap. I got the motor out of a 01 with 29k on accident for 150 bucks so there was no questions asked on swapping that in.

The truck was only supposed to take one winter to but with girls stiring me in other directions the motivation slowed down. as one relation ship would end motivation would pick up until the next came along. In Feb 2010 i enlisted in the Army Nation Guard and backed the truck into a portable garage and forgot about it. I figured id mess with it when i got home from boot camp, someone had other ideas for me and the Gaurd didnt pan out. I tore my left acl at a drill weekend a few weeks before boot camp and was put on medical hold while i had surgery and healed up, that process took longer than expected and was medically discharged.

The truck came back out and slow work continued, Now its being Bagged along with the other stuff.

The only picture of what it looked like when i originally got it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Fuel cell...

New bed number one...

Motor out...

5.3 going in...

The short lived replacement...

Caseman221

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this build has been no short build but it will get done just keep me motivated!

about time you showed up!!! LOL!!!

How you doing man? i hadnt heard from you on fullsize in a while thought you fell off.

the ugly 86 turned from this into this...

I sold that and somehow ended up driving this shi**er til i saved up some cash for my 01.

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this build has been no short build but it will get done just keep me motivated!

How you doing man? i hadnt heard from you on fullsize in a while thought you fell off.

i still poke around there from time to time. here mostly. figure i'll never buy a truck newer that 98 so why hang out on a site that that talks more about what i'm not interested in. much better here

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really like what you did with that bumper on the red truck. Good idea and looks alot better then those filler pieces.