'89 Fun daily build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A month later, finally an update!

Electric issue
Fixed but the tech that worked on it had already left when I picked it up so I'll have to wait until their next shift to find out what it was. The Ohio Generator alternator is staying in and I'll be selling my other one since it works and wasn't the issue.

Steering
@Cunningham Machine shaft installed and there is noticable improvement but there's still slop somewhere so now I'm looking at the box. Red Head said to avoid quick steer for anything I want to track or rally, anyone here have input on that? I'd really like more responsive steering but would prefer to have the box last AND perform well.

There's also a new airy, squishy noise when using the steering wheel now. I checked the vacuum when turning but that seemed fine, and I checked the fluid while cold and it was above the fill line so it isn't low.

Up Next
Talked to a different audio shop after the Frisco Audio started giving me the run around. Getting security & remote start, having the DRLs on my new headlights set up, and converting to power locks and windows.

Miscellaneous
The right headlight from my new set is a bit more dim than the left, this was also an issue with my previous lights. The right turn signal is also doing double time but both front and rear are working. Not sure where to look for either of those issues.

My cruise control also stopped working and it looks like the most common issue is the switch in the stalk going out. I got a new one but still no dice. Anyone have any ideas?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering
@Cunningham Machine shaft installed and there is noticable improvement but there's still slop somewhere so now I'm looking at the box. Red Head said to avoid quick steer for anything I want to track or rally, anyone here have input on that? I'd really like more responsive steering but would prefer to have the box last AND perform well.
I just went down a similar route. I rebuilt the entire front end of my truck and it was still sloppy, so I bought a Red Head gearbox. The bleeding instructions are very thorough, and if they don't take care of your "squishy noise", then you're probably sucking air somewhere. The Red Head instructions are good enough that I laminated them and stuck them with my power steering tools.

Once I got it in and bled I was a bit disappointed because there's still a little slop, but then I had to consider the slop was only in comparison to my '06 Mustang. A recirculating ball link steering system will never be as tight as a rack.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After some research it looks like for the signal I may just need a flasher relay for LEDS.
Yep, picked up an EP36 and now both signals flash the same rate, no issues with hazards either. All set there, glad to finally have an easy and cheap fix for something.

I've ordered a redhead box and hope to get it installed next week.

Bonus, picture of the steering shaft:
You must be registered for see images attach

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've finally been able to spend some time driving it and I am quite happy with how it's turning out save for still having slop in the steering. Weirdly the slop feels like it's only when turning right so I'll have to tell my shop about that.

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just found out today that Advantage also disconnected my license plate lights at some point and never reconnected them. I also broke my phone while I was under the truck. Merry Christmas y'all!

Anyone know what those lights are supposed to connect to?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to give Street Dreamz a try for the remaining electronics. Prices are reasonable and Robert is quite familiar with these trucks, having a couple himself. Nick over at Miller Muffler is also well acquainted with him so that gives meore confidence. Here's hoping next week it's ready for (legal and safe) commuting!

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have a design theme now!

My wife and I got this to be a project and the one thing we haven't been able to settle on is the overall color design. Not sure why it took us so long to think of this considering the truck is already red, but we're going with our first date, which was watching Iron Man.

Rather than a full bed liner paint job we may do some parts in some shade of gold and the rest red. We also decided that we like the styling of the syclone so any body mods and ground effects we do will be similar to that. I've attached 2 trucks that we'll be using for inspiration once we move on to paint.

Attachments

• chrome_image_Jan 4, 2023 4_10_05 PM CST.png
    chrome_image_Jan 4, 2023 4_10_05 PM CST.png
    907.8 KB · Views: 18
  • SmartSelect_20230104_160500_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230104_160500_Chrome.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 18

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Electronics update

The 0 gauge that Frisco Audio and Tint (FA) ran already has a short. This was something I noticed before taking it in to Street Dreamz (SD), it was just worse than I thought. Had them re-do the run and they actually ran it inside the cab instead of underneath, I feel much more comfortable with that. FA also cracked a panel and didn't tell me. The manager and tech who worked on this are both out but will be in tomorrow, hopefully that call goes well.

SD also got a picture of the Dakota wiring for me that Advantage Autoworks did.

I should take a day to clean that up but more than likely I'll ignore it until I swap the motor. Advantage may have also lost the TPMS module. It was in the cab when I gave it to them but I didn't see it when I picked it up so I thought they mounted it. Called and verified that they didn't mount it so the tech at SD is going to look through the cab and hopefully it's there and I just missed it.

As for everything else. The doors have been converted to power using universal kits but still uses factory switches thanks to some custom work by SD. The remote start and security is also installed, though the dash hasn't been put back on until we know about the TPMS Dakota Digital module. License plate lights have been reconnected and the wires for the DRLs have been run. Last I heard the DRL switch wasn't installed. The last thing will be troubleshooting the cruise control.