88 headlights to 99 truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use 6000k LEDs ( 9005 and 9006 are same bulb in led), do the 4 hi mod and if ur headlights are clear ( I used toothpaste and piece of sheet and "wet sanded" mine, took forever but we're Crystal clear when done). You will have some of the brightest lights on the road...did both my trucks and love em. I have a 54" curved light bar and really don't use it with my headlights so bright.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To answer the original question: stock mini-quad headlights are not as bright as the 9005/9006 bulbs in a clean/clear composite housing.
If the composite housing is dulled/yellowed, then they are just as bad as the mini-quad units.

Physical they will bolt on w/o any mods, but will need the pigtails changed as they specific to the mini-quad units.

As stated above, if you get the units from LMC, then no changes to the wiring as they use the 9005/9006 bulbs. Which in turn are now brighter than the composite units. Glass vs plastic.

When a mini-quad dies, you replace the glass structure as it doesn't have a replaceable bulb. W/ the composite or the LMC, you replace just the bulb.

HD harness is only needed if you are going to use brighter bulbs.

W/ the mini-quad style lights, the 1st Chevy & both GMC style grilles require zero mods. Plug & play.
But w/ 2nd style Chevy grille requires slight mod to the light housing as the backside of the upper amber reflector is slightly larger & wont clear it.

I am running the 89 mini-quad units on a 99 Suburban w/ a modified 99 Escalade headlight harness w/ a diesel bumper, 00 Z71 pushbar & foglights.

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth I had to modify my grill under the reflector (upper side marker) for clearance. At least one other member here did the same because I read that thread. I'm not sure why a couple of us had to do while most guys say they didn't. Mine grill was a GM replacement, and the truck is a 1994 if that helps at all. Not saying you will but be aware just in case.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth I had to modify my grill under the reflector (upper side marker) for clearance. At least one other member here did the same because I read that thread. I'm not sure why a couple of us had to do while most guys say they didn't. Mine grill was a GM replacement, and the truck is a 1994 if that helps at all. Not saying you will but be aware just in case.
I did it that way on my Chevy grille first go around. Next go around I trimmed the edge of the headlight bracket. Much better way to go.