88-98 Bucket seat alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been answered but i can't seem to find it. If I get factory buckets (non power) from an extended cab truck and want to replace the manual bench seat i have in my regular (NOT extended) cab, I will need different risers on the seats that came from the extended cab truck to use them in my regular cab truck?

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yes, definitely use the risers that come on the buckets. I believe you will only have to drill the inner two holes on each seat (near the tranny hump), the outer bolts will go in just fine, since the bench used the same holes.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been answered but i can't seem to find it. If I get factory buckets (non power) from an extended cab truck and want to replace the manual bench seat i have in my regular (NOT extended) cab, I will need different risers on the seats that came from the extended cab truck to use them in my regular cab truck?
You will need the complete seat with the bottom section ( riser, seat bracket, or whatever you want to call it) but keep in mind that you will still need to drill new holes for the new seats. So get everything out of the doner truck. unbolt it all from the floor, and take it out as a unit.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
The seat risers on the buckets from the donor extended cab truck look to be much shorter than the risers on the bench seat in my regular cab truck... like if i were to use the risers on the extended cab buckets my seats would be sitting several inches lower than the bench seat that's currently in my regulalr cab truck. Make sense?

I believe i'd need to use the 2 risers from the current bench seat on ONE of the extended cab buckets, and get the risers off both sides of another regular cab bench seat to use on the other extended cab bucket seat in order to get both seats to sit up as high as the current bench seat does. I would also guess i'd have to fabricate new shorter cross springs on each seat to allow the fwd/back adjusters to work. Of course I'll also need to drill 2 new inside mounting holes for each bucket seat too. Does any of this make sense?

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Compare the risers on the bucket seat in the first pic to the riser on the bench seat in the second... it appears the bench seat in the second pic sits up higher, ie; has higher risers... am i wrong?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Compare the risers on the bucket seat in the first pic to the riser on the bench seat in the second... it appears the bench seat in the second pic sits up higher, ie; has higher risers... am i wrong?

You must be registered for see images

your seat brackets, dont have the plastic covers on them. IDK if the bucket seats are shorter or not. They may be IDK, but the bucket seat frames have a plastic cover over the base. The 60-40 seats in my 97 have the same covers. Here is a pic of my passengers side.

joeybsyc

Reaction score

your seat brackets, dont have the plastic covers on them. IDK if the bucket seats are shorter or not. They may be IDK, but the bucket seat frames have a plastic cover over the base. The 60-40 seats in my 97 have the same covers. Here is a pic of my passengers side.
yes, yours is an extended cab. if you look at any pics of a regular cab it appears the whoe risers are taller. so tall they don't make a cover for them, they just paint the risers gray and let them exposed. if you pop of the cover from your bench seat i think you'll find the riser doesn't look like the one on the bench seat i posted above.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that extended cab seat tracks/risers are different (lower) than regular cab seat risers? I want to know if i can take a pair of factory buckets with risers from a 4x4 extended cab 95 and put them into my 95 regular cab 2WD using the tracks and risers that came on the buckets, or if i have to find different ones.

In reading through some post on about page 12 or 13, it seems the inside riser on the drivers's seat will need modified, but not sure how. Could I simply use one of the risers from the bench seat I'm taking out? Where'd all the experts go from the beginning of this thread?

Last edited: