Will 98 extended cab power bucket seats fit my 98 reg cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeybsyc

Reaction score
My 1998 RCSB has a bench seat with manual sliders but electric lumbar. I bought a pair of OEM buckets from a 98 extended cab, and the drivers seat is full power. Will the risers/tracks on the power driver's seat fit the floor/ bolt in my regular cab floor (after drilling the 2 new inner holes of course) or will I need to use the manual risers/seat tracks? Is the plug for the lumbar bench I have the same one used for the full power bucket, or will i need to do some wiring modifications to make the power seat work?

On the passenger seat, which also came from an extended cab... will i need to use the risers from my bench seat on it instead of the exisiting extended cab risers/tracks? i believe i read somewhere that paasenger side extended cab seat risers dont fit the floor of a regular cab?

Baically wanting to know what i need to still find to be able to install these extended cab buckets in my regular cab after removing the bench seat. Any insight or help would be appreciated!

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the gmt 400 platforms, the floor mounts are all the same. All are interchangable. The only problem you would run into would be if you put a rcsb seat in an extended cab, you would not have the mechanism for entering and exiting. Therefore you would switch over the base. The floor has markings for where the holes belong for the new seats. Good upgrade. Get a center console too.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the gmt 400 platforms, the floor mounts are all the same. All are interchangable. The only problem you would run into would be if you put a rcsb seat in an extended cab, you would not have the mechanism for entering and exiting. Therefore you would switch over the base. The floor has markings for where the holes belong for the new seats. Good upgrade. Get a center console too.
Yes to OP, the buckets will swap in. You may need to drill the extra two holes as you mentioned; be sure to back up the nuts underneath with large thick washers so they don't just tear through in the event of a crash. You also may find on the passenger side floor there are a couple extra holes currently filled up with bolts you can remove to make room for the bucket brackets to bolt in. As far as the electrical, the harness for your power lumbar is probably not sufficient for actual power seats. Yes they just need +12 and GND but IIRC the wiring gauge is heavier and the circuit rated a little higher. You should be able to score that little run of harness from a power seat truck; it'll just go up to the convenience center behind the dash.

No to your reply. All the GMT400's are not the same in regards to seats. Mostly, but not enough to say they are all the same. For example, you can't put an extended cab front seat into a regular or crew cab because the floors are different where the inside bracket goes; you either have to chop the bracket (difficult if it's power as there's not much material you can remove) or pound a big dent into the floor for clearance. You can't put Suburban middle row or Tahoe/Blazer/etc. rear row into anything else as the bracketry is very specific to the floor shape.

Richard

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this applies across all years but somewhere along the way an extended cab seat was put in my crew cab and the feet of the brackets were several inches further apart than standard buckets. This thread has some pictures for reference.

I ended up pulling a set of risers from a front bucket in a Suburban to switch onto the EC bucket.

Attachments

• 82A17439-4225-4474-997E-6B6DD8DB0474.jpeg
    82A17439-4225-4474-997E-6B6DD8DB0474.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Yes to OP, the buckets will swap in. You may need to drill the extra two holes as you mentioned; be sure to back up the nuts underneath with large thick washers so they don't just tear through in the event of a crash. You also may find on the passenger side floor there are a couple extra holes currently filled up with bolts you can remove to make room for the bucket brackets to bolt in. As far as the electrical, the harness for your power lumbar is probably not sufficient for actual power seats. Yes they just need +12 and GND but IIRC the wiring gauge is heavier and the circuit rated a little higher. You should be able to score that little run of harness from a power seat truck; it'll just go up to the convenience center behind the dash.

No to your reply. All the GMT400's are not the same in regards to seats. Mostly, but not enough to say they are all the same. For example, you can't put an extended cab front seat into a regular or crew cab because the floors are different where the inside bracket goes; you either have to chop the bracket (difficult if it's power as there's not much material you can remove) or pound a big dent into the floor for clearance. You can't put Suburban middle row or Tahoe/Blazer/etc. rear row into anything else as the bracketry is very specific to the floor shape.

Richard
Not sure I follow... in your first sentence you say the buckets will swap in, but in the next paragraph you say you can't put an extended cab seat in a regular cab because the floors are different. Are you talking about a bench seat from an extended cab? I don't even know if such a thing exists so I'll assume youre referring to bucket seats from an extended cab, in which case that's exactly what I have and what I'm trying to install into my regular cab truck. The passenger seat has that "double tracks" setup for easy entry to the back seat of the extended cab. Are you saying that seat wont fit in my regular cab without bashing in the floor or hacking up the brackets? The passenger seat is manual, so I could probably reuse the risers from my existing bench seat on that side, but will the power drivers seat tracks from the extended cab bolt right into my regular cab or will there be clearance issues with using the extended cab seat base on that side as well? Sounds like its gonna be a major hassle to get these extended cab seats to work in my regular cab. You're saying I need a wiring harness from a power seat truck to make the seat work, i can't just use the wire going to the lumbar controls on my existing bench seat? My bench seat is looking better and better by the second.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure I follow... in your first sentence you say the buckets will swap in, but in the next paragraph you say you can't put an extended cab seat in a regular cab because the floors are different. Are you talking about a bench seat from an extended cab? I don't even know if such a thing exists so I'll assume youre referring to bucket seats from an extended cab, in which case that's exactly what I have and what I'm trying to install into my regular cab truck. The passenger seat has that "double tracks" setup for easy entry to the back seat of the extended cab. Are you saying that seat wont fit in my regular cab without bashing in the floor or hacking up the brackets? The passenger seat is manual, so I could probably reuse the risers from my existing bench seat on that side, but will the power drivers seat tracks from the extended cab bolt right into my regular cab or will there be clearance issues with using the extended cab seat base on that side as well? Sounds like its gonna be a major hassle to get these extended cab seats to work in my regular cab. You're saying I need a wiring harness from a power seat truck to make the seat work, i can't just use the wire going to the lumbar controls on my existing bench seat? My bench seat is looking better and better by the second.
My bad. Too many different configurations and that is exactly what I meant, you guessed it; the extended cab *bench* (split bench, to be specific) front seat does not directly swap into other cab configurations without some hacking. My main point is that to assume all the platforms are the same is incorrect and that type of thinking leads to problems. The buckets, on the other hand, are far less of an issue to swap in place of a bench. The only issue I could foresee swapping buckets in place of a bench would be in an extended cab where you might find yourself replacing a split bench that has the rear-seat entry feature, with buckets from an application that don't.

Getting the harness for the power seats is no big deal. It's just a separate accessory harness that runs from the firewall block inside the cab, under the carpet, to the seat. It would be the simplest way to have a solid connection instead of hacking the lumbar harness which may not be adequate for the load. Dunno. You could always try it..

Richard

joeybsyc

Reaction score
Not sure if this applies across all years but somewhere along the way an extended cab seat was put in my crew cab and the feet of the brackets were several inches further apart than standard buckets. This thread has some pictures for reference.

I ended up pulling a set of risers from a front bucket in a Suburban to switch onto the EC bucket.
My passenger side tracks look similar to the ones on your seat, as they are from an extended cab with the rear entry/silde forward feature.. therefore i'm sure I'll run into the same issue of the frame/bolt holes being too far apart front to back. I could use the manual risers from my bench seat for the passenger bucket, replacing the extended cab tracks... but really would like to keep them on my bench seat when i remove it, as its in mint shape and probably worth a decent amount to sell. Anyone reading this have a pair of OBS seat risers for sale? Or a drivers side power seat harness for that matter?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had a picture that showed the detail but the only one I took with the carpet out on my '94 extended cab was from the driver's side. The truck came with buckets, but they were really beat up, so I swapped in a split bench from my old '92. The spacing was different for the passenger side bracket, but the hole already existed in the floor, but was filled with a torx bolt. I simply moved the bolt over to plug the other hole and bolted the seat in.

Richard