1997 K1500 Bucket to Bench seat conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seant117

Reaction score
Hello! I hope everyone is doing well. I've seen quite a few forums on converting bench seats to bucket seats. I've wanted bench seats for a while now and wondering a few things about it so I wouldn't waste my time if it wasn't worth it.

1. Are the bolt holes exactly the same for the drivers and passenger seats? Will it be a pretty easy unbolt the bucket seats, remove the center console and bolt the bench seats right up? Or would there need to be some fabrication?

2. My driver seat is power. I don't care for power seats, just another thing to break. Will the bench seats have all the same adjustments, just manual?

3. Which one is more comfortable? I've always liked the idea of flipping up the center armrest and having either an extra seat or a place to lay down. But if the bench seats are not comfortable and the bucket seats have more cushion, I may stick with bucket.

Thanks for your time! I hope everyone is having a great day.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On my '97 crew cab, the stock split bench seat is very comfortable. It's a little more like "chair height" vs. the buckets in my Burb, but the Burb seats have 100,000 more miles of use on them too so that's a factor. You'll want to reinstall the bolts in the floor for the console and inner bucket tracks(basically any unused holes) so you don't have any open holes in the floorboard. The split bench has two sets of tracks, and the standard one piece bench only has one set, one on each side.
If there are any crew cabs in the yards in your area, they're a good place to get a used one piece bench; that's what is used for the back seat.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tangent alert: I gotta say that I just love the front one piece bus-seat bench too. It's more comfortable than the 60/40 bench or the buckets imo... and so old school. Throw the right arm up on the back of the seat, dog going back and forth to window, with tons of butt shifting, leg stretching room.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will be doing this to my 99 Suburban. Have been looking at junk yards for a while for good condition bench seats + the color I need which is like a brownish tan color.. super hard to find imo

Did you end up swapping them out? Photos?

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
tangent alert: I gotta say that I just love the front one piece bus-seat bench too. It's more comfortable than the 60/40 bench or the buckets imo... and so old school. Throw the right arm up on the back of the seat, dog going back and forth to window, with tons of butt shifting, leg stretching room.
Howdy thinking about replacing my buckets with the bus bench style seat. Can you post any photos of this arrangement? I can’t find any pics on google. There is a 96 chevy utility truck nearby with one for $100 and your description sounds appealing at 6’ 7” tall and a fluffy white dog, I’m seriously considering this swap. Was wanting the 60/40 but impossible to find in leather, and the bus style bench sounds very enticing. The seat for sale is in a stripped and wrecked truck so it’s not a good visual

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy thinking about replacing my buckets with the bus bench style seat. Can you post any photos of this arrangement? I can’t find any pics on google. There is a 96 chevy utility truck nearby with one for $100 and your description sounds appealing at 6’ 7” tall and a fluffy white dog, I’m seriously considering this swap. Was wanting the 60/40 but impossible to find in leather, and the bus style bench sounds very enticing. The seat for sale is in a stripped and wrecked truck so it’s not a good visual
Bottom redone bus seat style, no stitching... way more forgiving/durable that way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will be doing this to my 99 Suburban. Have been looking at junk yards for a while for good condition bench seats + the color I need which is like a brownish tan color.. super hard to find imo

Did you end up swapping them out? Photos?
oops... sorry, didn't see this post back in Sept

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom redone bus seat style, no stitching... way more forgiving/durable that way.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thank you for this photo. Do you know what year donor vehicle and model yours was ? Does those headrests raise up too ? I love this look! Where might I ask did you get the bottom seat cover?

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for this photo. Do you know what year donor vehicle and model yours was ? Does those headrests raise up too ? I love this look! Where might I ask did you get the bottom seat cover?
Seat was stock on my 99 k2500 suburban base model. Headrests have 3 height settings. My local auto upholstery guy did it. It was either him or @sewlow that said that they last longer redone in the bus seat style.

To help in hunting remotely, the RPO code on my 99 for "front bench seat" is/was A52 (I think A53 is also a frt bench)

And I can definitely see where a man that calls himself bigfoot would like the look/fit!!! always be on watch for the squatch! :p

Last edited:

Georgiabigfoot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seat was stock on my 99 k2500 suburban base model. Headrests have 3 height settings. My local auto upholstery guy did it. It was either him or @sewlow that said that they last longer redone in the bus seat style.

To help in hunting remotely, the RPO code on my 99 for "front bench seat" is/was A52 (I think A53 is also a frt bench)

And I can definitely see where a man that calls himself bigfoot would like the look/fit!!! always be on watch for the squatch! :p
All great info thanks !! Yes I’m 6’ 7”, with size 17 feet, one last question. I’m attaching a photo so you mind measuring the height for me from the seat pulled all the way back to the highest part of the headliner , I’m a little worried about headroom with this setup. But love love the look !!

Attachments

• 26F9A68F-E74F-4C69-BB09-AB785D77785B.jpeg
    26F9A68F-E74F-4C69-BB09-AB785D77785B.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8