88-98 Bucket seat alternatives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize These seats?
You must be registered for see images attach

They where in the truck when I bought it!! They remind me of ones out of a southern comfort van? What do y'all think?
,my dad had a 87 f350 crew cab dually that has Western brand custom conversion seats installed in it,that were brown that's what they looked like.

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone recognize These seats?

They where in the truck when I bought it!! They remind me of ones out of a southern comfort van? What do y'all think?
,the truck I was referring to I believe was a centurion conversion pckg. It had the same brand back seat that folded flat into a bed,and the truck had a strobe stripe looking upside down nike swoosh mark that started in the middle of the front doors and went to just in front of the dually rear fenders.

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought some bucket seats and console from a 93 ext cab and want to put them in my 1990 std cab . What should I expect , this will be my first seat swap.

Current seats :

This is the buckets and console I bought:
,,this is the kind of swap I plan on doing truck has the same 60/40 just grey,plan to put buckets and console in its place 1994 chevy silverado extended cab shortbed.

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh-oh! Another novel! Lol!
Leather is sold by the square foot. But I can only purchase full hides.
Average hide is 45-50 sq.ft., but I've seen them as big as 80. (One F'n big cow!)
It takes 18 sq.ft. of leather to equal 1 linear yard of material. (54"x36")
When I order leather, I figure how much linear material I need, then convert that to square footage. The supplier then sends me the hides that get as close as possible to the total square footage that's required. It's always on the plus side of what I need.
I can get leather for $5.00/sq.ft., but I wouldn't offer any warranty on that cheap chit.
Good leather starts @ about $8.00-$10.00/sq.ft., but I've bought leather for $27.00/sq.ft.! (Includes burn tests & certifications for corporate aircraft)
The best leather comes from Northern Europe & Britain. Why?
For one, the environment. That colder climate helps the bovines produce thicker, stronger hides. The animals are raised specifically for their hides. Not like here, where leather is a by-product of the food industry.
And two, they do not use barbed wire for fencing. That's a North American cowboy thing. The fences in Northern Europe are made of stone, with many of them being the same ones that the Romans built. This helps to lessen any cuts/scars & provides a higher yield of useable leather per hide. Plus, they've been at this a hell of a lot longer than any of the North American tanneries. The one that I deal with has been in biz for over 400 years! I think that they've got this figured out!
So... if a 'very good' leather for auto's runs $12.00-$15.00/sq.ft., with an average sized hide of 50 sq.ft, the cost of one hide would be $600.00-$750.00/per. Plus tax.
50 sq.ft is the equivalent of about 2 & 2/3 linear yards. But there is much more waste with leather than man-made fabrics due to having to work around scars & natural flaws. And certain parts of the hide gets used for specific parts of an auto's seats. Figure that the amount of useable leather in that hide to be equal to 2.5 yards of a manufactured textile. Or less, depending on the hide.
That makes that leather worth $240.00-$300.00 per linear yard!
As opposed to a vinyl (to match) cost of $30.00-$40.00 per linear yard.
The advantages with leather though, is that it will last 3-5X longer than vinyl. Tough stuff.
And, leather mimics body heat within a few moments, + it breathes. This makes it warm in the winter & cooler in the summer than vinyl.
Plus you get that wonderful leather aroma! (Which is actually a manufactured smell. Without that added process, leather smells like death! Literally! Think...'Rendering Facility'. 'Slaughter House'! In aircraft, that smell is actually toned down, due to the amount of leather in that cabin, & the amount of time spent in that environment. Without that toning down, that smell can become overpowering after a while.)
Perforated leather is even more expensive. One more added process. But that perforation process can be only done 1/2 a hide @ a time. So that means more waste due to the sizes & shapes required for the parts of the seat where that perforated stuff is used.
To recover a set of buckets & a rear seat to match, in leather, just doing the faces, would require approx. 3 hides, with the rest in vinyl.
To do the same in all leather would require approx. 5 hides.
The difference in just the leather costs between choice 'A' or 'B' is $1200.00-$1500.00! And that's just for the leather.
Due to the costs of that leather, more time & care must be taken when patterning & stitching. Mistakes get very expensive, very quickly! So...that means more labor costs in time.
While the large auto manufacturers are getting a better price break, due to them being able to buy in mass quantities, the differences in the costs of vinyl & leather are still significant.
You can see why they opt towards the practice of just utilizing leather on the face of their seats.
,what see low states here also explains why most claimed leather buckets come apart and tear,they are usually vinyl where it comes apart,and yes sir uncured ,raw leather smells like a dead cow!! I'm a farmboy lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
,what see low states here also explains why most claimed leather buckets come apart and tear,they are usually vinyl where it comes apart,and yes sir uncured ,raw leather smells like a dead cow!! I'm a farmboy lol.

Haven't had my notification box blow up like that in a while! Lol!
Haven't checked in on this thread for so long, I actually went back & read this whole thing.
So many names I haven't heard in a while. Q's from newbies that I could of had answers for. Damn. Oh well. I'll have to check in here more often.

Yea. I've been doing this upholstery/interior thing for a while now.
40 (FORTY!!!) #%$&#%@$!%@$#!!! damn years now.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. I should get on that I guess.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-...-why-i-dont-have-a-build-thread-thread.22574/

Last edited:

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't had my notification box blow up like that in a while! Lol!
Haven't checked in on this thread for a while, I actually went back & read this whole thing.
So many names I haven't heard in a while. Q's from newbies that I could of had answers for. Damn. Oh well. I'll have to check in here more often.

Yea. I've been doing this upholstery/interior thing for a while now.
40 (FORTY!!!) #%$&#%@$!%@$#!!! damn years now.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. I should get in that I guess.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-...-why-i-dont-have-a-build-thread-thread.22574/
,another thing I could add I cleaned gunk,and dried grease off seat rollers on a 85 supreme cutlass with a cheap screwdriver,and applied fresh new grease left the screwdriver in the small hole at the back of the track and was grabbing the floor to shake it off,and accidentally pushed the seat level seat shot back and latched into place!!! Broke handle off screwdriver and bent it into a u,so yeah watch your fingers people,and they don't want to hear a screwdriver handle blow apart inside a car!!

1993GMCC2500SLX

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, id love to have your old console and buckets. I have a 94 with 60/40. The drivers seat mounts are same as the high back buckets, the bench seat only the outboard support is the same, its inner support is a shorty on the floor hump. I grabbed the inboard passenger seat bucket support and seat track wire out of a junked 93 1 ton dually in my wrecking yard.

I heard the buick park ave, and pontiac bonneville front buckets bolt right up to these seat supports. My other option is to chop the supports about 1.5" and lower the bench seat setup down a little.
only pic I have of it for now,the stains may clean up,but I'm not betting on it.