'88-'94 Rear Defogger Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Mine probably should have went to the junkyard in '08 haha. It was certainly ready by the time the guy I bought it from picked it up. Between the work he had done and the work I did since picking it up a little over two years ago the only things that haven't been touched are the transmission, T-case, front & rear diffs, leaf springs and ball joints... But regular cab shortbox 4x4 350 stick shift!! That is what pushed me forward, bad Derek...

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I do! Last week my rear window was covered in what seemed like an eighth of an inch of frost. Well, all windows were covered but if I had that option, I'd have one less window on my list to clear ;)

I will harvest an extender cab truck and such. The brochure I looked at from GM showed the defrost as available on regular cab trucks, at least for '88 anyway. Although that could have been a misprint or something they changed after they printed those..

my '89 catalog says: "Rear window defogger (NA w/ sliding window or Cheyenne trim)". so that tells me that it was an available option on the higher model reg & ext models

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's what I thought, I think the catalog I have for '88 says the same thing. But then they've got a disclaimer which says it's possible that not everything in the catalog is accurate. Guess this will be right at home on my Scottsdale. Funny, I see Cheyennes and Silverados everywhere yet Scottsdales aren't quite so common. Same goes for GMC's, SL, SLX and SLE.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you already have a 94 with rear window defrost . Can you wire in heated mirrors ?

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here is another food for thought that I just remembered, as an option if you cant find the dash side of stuff. 86-94 s-blazer, s-jimmy & the 91-94 Bravada had the rear defrost switch usually mounted to the bottom of the HVAC controller. it was a separate item. so if this is more available in your area, then here is another option while retaining a factory style look. these pod switches were either for fogs, defrost or pwr mirrors & if the vehicle was well equipped enough, it would be double-stacked on one side. I couldn't find any pics of pass side of the cluster, but here is a pic of the driver side of the cluster so you get an idea of what it looks idea.

You must be registered for see images attach