'88-'94 Rear Defogger Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Fellas!

I've got a '89 K1500 regular cab that I'd like to swap rear defrost onto. Truck currently has the dumb two piece slider window and of course the tab to keep them closed is busted. I would rather have a single piece window and the idea of defrost is groovy but I've only seen it on '95+ trucks. I know based on the literature it was available the first year ('88) but I've never seen an early truck like mine with one. Has anyone else seen one or done this? Are the electronics the same on the Suburbans? Is it a plug and play deal from '88-'94? Because aside from the window I'll need the trim bezel, wiring and switch..

Thanks for your input!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That is certainly a viable alternative.
Do you have any idea if the factory defroster plugs into the convenience center? Guess what I'll do is liberate a 'Burbon or Yukon or whatever of it's electricals but find a defrost equipped window from a pick-up, then make the swap happen. Don't see it happening this winter though.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Alright!
The Cars sang a song about that diagram, describes what I need...

Thanks for taking the time to find and post that!

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
Not a problem. Found that diagram a while back and saved to many devices. It was a pain in the butt to find.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've pulled a couple these windows from diff yrs.
pass side a short ground wire bolted behind the plastics to the body, I always leave that one attached to the glass.
driver side has a long purple wire, diff length depending on the cab config., plugs in the fuse box.
from there, I don't know about the wiring, never traced it.
95+, the defrost button is on the hvac controller.
I don't recall where the button is on the 94-.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Right, I've never seen one on a '94 or earlier truck but have on later ones. Especially well equipped quad cab thing-a-ma-bobbers. And like you mentioned, the defrost button is integrated into the HVAC head unit. I think the 92-94 Suburbans are wired the same as the trucks so I can pinch a rear window & associated purple wire from one of those later trucks and then pinch the switch and associated wiring from a Suburban. That is the plan anyway.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen it in the 88-94 but i have tossed around the idea of adding it in.
i would imagine that if you have the harness, switch, and rear glass, I would just be a matter of mounting the switch.

This is something i was considering for a while.
https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-...MI3rL67Pij3gIViIbACh0siAgFEAQYAiABEgJZZfD_BwE
i am all must sure that I read on their site ( frostfighter ) That if you wanted to add heated exterior mirror's to a truck/ car with their rear window defrost kit that they can make it to wire into factory defrost switch . Or some thing like that . it was over a year ago since i read and looked at their site