'88-'94 Rear Defogger Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps you out, however the rear window defroster setup with dark tinted glass window was only available as an option on the extended cab, and crew cab in the earlier 88-94 trucks. It was never made available as an option on the standard cab trucks from these years since the smaller cab and windshield defogger setup did an adequate job of clearing the rear glass as well. GM probably figured they wouldent sell many configured that way so why offer it.

I must have been one of the few interested in it though. I special ordered my truck new in 1994 and enquired about this option since i saw it in the brochure, and was told it wasnt available for a std cab. I briefly concidered it later, but now i am going to put in SS 454 driving lights. The switch for those goes where the defogger switch is mounted to the right of the steering wheel. I will be installing a smoke tint non defrost smooth rear glass.

This certainly would be cool to do to a standard cab though. Your best bet would be to pull the wiring, switch and relay from an 88-94 suburban. This way that part is plug n play since the dash and fuse box is the same or similar to your year truck. Then find a 95 up pickup and get the wiring and terminal ends that goes up to the defroster type rear glass dince those are more common. A few soldered and shrink tube splices in the kick panel area to mate the window wiring to the suburban body wiring if thats how they ran the wiring originally and Viola, rear defogger in a std cab truck.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats the route i am going as well. My local glass place wanted $150 plus the cost of 2 tubes of urethane, that was after they hooked me up with 2 barracuda windshields for $100 each lol. Thanks for the link. Its in my shopping cart now.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
i don't see a need for a rear defog in a standard cab...

Oh I do! Last week my rear window was covered in what seemed like an eighth of an inch of frost. Well, all windows were covered but if I had that option, I'd have one less window on my list to clear ;)

I will harvest an extender cab truck and such. The brochure I looked at from GM showed the defrost as available on regular cab trucks, at least for '88 anyway. Although that could have been a misprint or something they changed after they printed those..