88 5.7 fuel pump problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pump will turn on for a few seconds when you turn the ign on. it is pressurzing the fuel system for faster starting. when my pump was disconnected my injectors did not turn on. just giving you a heads up

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check your ignition module in the distributor. I know this sounds wierd but mine went bad and it wouldn't turn the pump on. I also tried bypassing the relay and a spare computer and neither fixed the issue. (I now carry a spare module along side the spare computer in the tool-box. Electronics are the worst things to die on you 100 miles from no-where.)

And last time I changed my pump I found the float arm in the bottom of the tank. Come to think of it, it's still floating around in there because I didn't want to go elbow deep in gas to get it out.

Reaction score
thanks for all the ideas guys, this sounded like a simple problem to me too what i have done is i'm switching my old tbi engine for a carb engine, the ground is fine, as for the sending unit being bad that is a very good possibility because as far as i know it is original, but since i switched it to a carb motor i am using an HEI distributor instead of the stock unit, which may have something to do with it, i'll check out the resistance on it though to see if it is the sending unit, i bypassed the system like i was told about in another reply and it kicks the fuel pump on right but it does not kick off like it used too after it builds pressure. so i'm hoping its one central problem here

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
thanks for all the ideas guys, this sounded like a simple problem to me too what i have done is i'm switching my old tbi engine for a carb engine, the ground is fine, as for the sending unit being bad that is a very good possibility because as far as i know it is original, but since i switched it to a carb motor i am using an HEI distributor instead of the stock unit, which may have something to do with it, i'll check out the resistance on it though to see if it is the sending unit, i bypassed the system like i was told about in another reply and it kicks the fuel pump on right but it does not kick off like it used too after it builds pressure. so i'm hoping its one central problem here
its because you swapped the distributor, the fuel pump is gonna stay on as long as the key is on now, its the only way your gonna get it too work. not really that big of a deal. if you hooked up to the right wire, it wont even kick on when you turn the key back to ACC.

Reaction score
yeah i wired it up the way you told me too and the pump works great but the gauge is still messed up, i think i've got a bad sending unit on my hands