86 yr old shadetree knuckle buster.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old MXer

Reaction score

Sean Buick 76

Pics? It's just an old work truck that does what it was meant to do plus a little more.
I guess it's what some call an 8 lugger? I hadn't heard that description before. I'm guessing it's because of the 8 lug nuts for the HD wheels...?
The truck isn't quite as clean as it was a couple months ago. I got T-boned by a speeding deer one dark morning. It hit the truck at the drivers side rear of the extended cab, just in front of the bed. I was focused on an oncoming car & never saw the deer but it really rocked the truck & left a couple of respectable dents behind.

Old MXer

Reaction score
MOVIETVET
Thanks for the welcome.
Never had a lift except for auto mech in high school.
Hated creeper time then & now.
Was an IBM tech for many years. Have a high mechanical aptitude so got to work on all the old iron machines. Good job that fit me well.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont want to lead you down a path but I am really thinking you have a bad brake light switch.
Hopefully some other folks will get in to this but that switch is a pretty commen failure
I had posted the brake switch as a possible problem but removed it when I reread he had done some tests already. But yeah, my 93 cruise just flat out stopped one day, couldn't tell you if it was intermittent before or not tbh because the times I used it I wasn't really paying attention enough I'd guess but , even though my brake lights functioned normally, it ended up being the brake light switch being replaced that brought my cc back. Not sure if that would translate to the testing that he has done with it already.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome and sorry about your wildlife troubles. I did have a 94 that the cruise would kick off on the littlest grade ( since I live in this part of Texas we don't have hills) but changing the cruise module did solve my problem.

Old MXer

Reaction score
Sorry I dropped out for awhile. Too many normal things going on so very little time spent on the cruise, although I did grab a complete, junk, cruise head from a 94 Burb & a new brake switch to throw at it if I hit a dead end.
I got back to it today. I replaced the cruise module with the new junk one after inspecting the solder joints. No change. I haven't checked all grounds yet but I ran some parallel grounds in suspect circuits. Those didn't change anything. Did a few connector unplug/inspect/replug exercises. Again, no changes. (Thank the good Lord for the solid problem.) I put the new, junk, module back in the new, junk, head assembly & installed the whole thing.
That fixed it.
Maybe one of you guys can enlighten me on why a pretty much mechanical box would only fail when going downhill.
(I was tempted, for about a millisecond, to put the old module back in to see if it's good.)
Sure hoping this cured the intermittent stuff too.
Thanks to all for the suggestions & links. Good info that I hope I'll never have to use!

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had posted the brake switch as a possible problem but removed it when I reread he had done some tests already. But yeah, my 93 cruise just flat out stopped one day, couldn't tell you if it was intermittent before or not tbh because the times I used it I wasn't really paying attention enough I'd guess but , even though my brake lights functioned normally, it ended up being the brake light switch being replaced that brought my cc back. Not sure if that would translate to the testing that he has done with it already.
They replaced my working brake switch at the dealer recently on my 1994 rcsb because it had an open recall campaign tsb #98065 might check it out , guess they had a couple wires they had to reverse in the plug also that gm wired wrong. It's all free you might check into it if your truck hasn't had it done yet.

Last edited:

Old MXer

Reaction score
Thanks Scott2093.
Maybe that's the reason these switches have a bed rep.
Just checked my wiring diagram & it shows yellow on B. I'll make a note on there to show the change & I'll look at my switch & see how it's wired. If it's wrong do I get a free switch/install...?
The switch could be the source of the intermittent cruise problems that I've had. Will see what happens now that the "solid" problem is looking fixed.
That went from 100% failing to 100% working so looking good right now.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks Scott2093.
Maybe that's the reason these switches have a bed rep.
Just checked my wiring diagram & it shows yellow on B. I'll make a note on there to show the change & I'll look at my switch & see how it's wired. If it's wrong do I get a free switch/install...?
The switch could be the source of the intermittent cruise problems that I've had. Will see what happens now that the "solid" problem is looking fixed.
That went from 100% failing to 100% working so looking good right now.
Punch your VIN in to NHTSA and see if is in the recall. If not, it is cheap enough and easy enough to install. The thing I hate the most, is working under a dash at 71. How is it for you?