8 lug to 6 lug swap ?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything is doable with enough time and money. The question you gotta ask yourself is why? Is there an easier or cheaper way to get to your intended goal?
Honestly, it seems to me that you haven't thought this through completely yet. Starting a project before thinking and planning is an absolute surefire way to waste time and money.
I agree with @ameadows7 that's the easiest way to swap, but it seems that's not really your intended goal....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know those adapters are kinda expensive, but is that not an option? Don't they make 8 lug to 6 lug ones? Not sure if they would work the front though.

Do they like push the wheels out more or something? For looks, seems to me the way to go. Doesn't sound like you are going to tow or haul much.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know those adapters are kinda expensive, but is that not an option? Don't they make 8 lug to 6 lug ones? Not sure if they would work the front though.

Do they like push the wheels out more or something? For looks, seems to me the way to go. Doesn't sound like you are going to tow or haul much.
8 to 6 lug adapters are thick and heavy. They do push the wheels out which leads to clearance issues when turning if you're even slightly lowered. It's better to hub swap.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
8 to 6 lug adapters are thick and heavy. They do push the wheels out which leads to clearance issues when turning if you're even slightly lowered. It's better to hub swap.

Ok, I see.

So the 6 lug hubs will mount to his 8 lug dually front knuckles? If so, then that's not too bad if swap. How about the brake calipers?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see.

So the 6 lug hubs will mount to his 8 lug dually front knuckles? If so, then that's not too bad if swap. How about the brake calipers?
My swap experience is limited to a square body, but everything had to be swapped. It's not that big a deal.
Short version is that adapters are quick and easy, but not ideal. If there's another option I would use it.

Aaron95obs

Reaction score

? Why would I not be able to tow or haul much ? The rear-end is still gana be a 14 bolt out of a 2500. Just gana be a srw iam getting ride of the dully look

Aaron95obs

Reaction score

So looked up some spec and the its only 2k difference in max tow weight 8k is perfect for what iam doing

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
? Why would I not be able to tow or haul much ? The rear-end is still gana be a 14 bolt out of a 2500. Just gana be a srw iam getting ride of the dully look

6 lug 14BSF axle was rated to 4600# in the 2500. The 8 lug was good for 6000#. Granted they got different leaf packs, but the 8 lugs got 13" drums vs 11" for the 6 lug.

What?

Reaction score
From my understanding 88-98 all parts are interchangeable but iam do some more research
Mine is long bed 2500 8 lugs though, 185k miles. I would be interested in your dually wheel/brake/bed setup. Even though we may able trade but mine aRe 8 lugs though.

Something we could figure out?

Aaron95obs

Reaction score
Mine is long bed 2500 8 lugs though, 185k miles. I would be interested in your dually wheel/brake/bed setup. Even though we may able trade but mine aRe 8 lugs though.

Something we could figure out?
What state are you in ? Iam in Sacramento California