700r4 to TH350 Swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phstratton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Information:
Long tail-shaft TH-350
1991 Chevy 350 Step Side
Truck had a 700r4

Basically, I pulled the 700r4 out, and just got the TH-350 pushed up into there, everything mounts up good to the motor as expected, except for two things. The torque converter I'm putting in is a stock one that I got from O'reilly's. On the torque converter I had which was a stock 700r4, the bolts just screwed into the torque converter, but this one doesn't have threads so it appears that you have to put a nut on the other end. Does this require a special type/grade of bolt, if so is there a kit I can get for it? This may be a simple issue but I've never messed with cars older than 1991 before, so I've never run into it.

The second issue is that even though the transmissions were about the same length, the TH-350 transmission mount is actually about an inch shorter than than the 700r4 transmission mount was, so it won't go through the cross-member. Is there an adapter or different type of mount i can get to fix this? Or maybe even a different type of cross-member? Or will I have to modify the cross-member I have?

Thanks guys! It's good to be back.

Side Note: Anyone know of a write up on this subject? I've looked around, but couldn't find a good one that helped me.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Did same thing in my old truck. 2wd, unbolt trans cross member, move it up to the next set of holes in frame, at least mine did. Revolt in. Converter bolts should be grade 8 and same size as the holes with no extra threads sticking past the nuts when bolted up. Loctite them in, oh and check a trans shop, could have those bolts lieing around. And my driveshaft was the long length. Had to get a longer one cut it down then rebalance. The only thing that actually worked was the shifter linkage I believe. For what I had to do it was pretty irritating.

Sent from my HTC 8X using Tapatalk

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if there's holes in the frame move it up, if there's no holes drill some.

As for the old school tc, some of the stockish tc's don't use a bolt only they use bolt and nut, agreed grade 8, with loctite, and sometimes any parts store has bolt and nut kits for em.

If not buy you one for a 75 truck with a th350 it has tapped holes.

BUT only and I mean ONLY if your th350 is NOT a c model with lockup TC. easy to tell, a plugin on the ds just like a 700r4 square 4 pin type. if not then it's a reg. th350.

phstratton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok run down to a local store and see if you can get a th350 trans mount for an 88 chevy truck. I had heard some of the early stripped down truck maybe vin code m if they had em for a 350 or so, see if they can find you a mount, take yours off and take it to them. I had a hard time on dad's 84 finding the right mount, none seemed to line up right and his was offset so one way made the mount fuirther forward the other made it further back.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We have plates made for that. I'm not on my PC, or I'd show you a picture. If you want you can text me and I'll send you a picture of it. Do you have a cutting torch and a scrap piece of metal? It needs to be about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.