700R4 4l60 4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinions but please stick with your 700 4l60 or your 4l80 units. Of coarse unless your gonna run a turbo trans or a standard.

This has nothing to do with our 400’s but just saying. Never know with all the swaps people do now days.
From what I’ve seen over the last few years these transmissions have a lot of problems compared to the units that come in the 400’s.

I pulled this pan for inspection at the dealership the other day.
This is the inside of a 6l90 6 speed trans out of a 2018 Silverado with 30,000 miles on it. One owner old man that maintenances all his vehicles with us regularly.
You must be registered for see images attach

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
So somewhere around 2019? they have removed the transmission dipstick.... was that to save money and let transmissions get intentionally ruined? Shìt like that makes me loose brand loyalty. however I wouldnt own anything post 2006 and I dont think I would actually consider anything newer than when the last 400's rolled off the line. 400"s will always be my vehicle of choice. I may need to stash a couple in the barn. LOL.

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if that mentality is partially responsible for the reason why these and other older cars are going up in value; people are done dealing with the bullschit associated with owning a late model car.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So somewhere around 2019? they have removed the transmission dipstick.... was that to save money and let transmissions get intentionally ruined? Shìt like that makes me loose brand loyalty. however I wouldnt own anything post 2006 and I dont think I would actually consider anything newer than when the last 400's rolled off the line. 400"s will always be my vehicle of choice. I may need to stash a couple in the barn. LOL.
Alot of that has to do with manufactures making it harder for owners to work on their vehichle they want you to go to the dealer for everything. Its already getting bad with tye software side of things like your new fiat chrysler has it where you have to pay a monthly subscrption to access their new vehichles. Snap has tried multiple time for me to add it to my scan tool and i wont have no part of that lol

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yikes!

Converter failure is a known problem on those units. They usually last longer though, LOL. Converter replacement and an adjustment on the tune is supposed to fix the issue, but I'm no expert. I can't remember if this is related to the DOD stuff? (DOD delete?) My brother's BIL had his 14 1500 go out a bit over 100,000 and another guy from church had his go out on his company's 2500 at around 300,000, both 6Lxx units. The master rebuild kits are certainly much more expensive than the 4Lxx series.

The 2500 had the unit replaced at the dealership, for a whopping amount like $6k or something like that. It's a company truck with a liftgate and makes money for the company, so the company paid. The other one was still around $3,500 or $4,000.

I bought a 2020 Express 3500 family hauler and it has the 6L90e. It's got 5,000 miles, but hoping the transmission will give me a long service life. The problem is that eventually, folks gotta buy something a bit newer. I mean, who still daily drives 60s and 70s trucks anymore? I hardly see any square body's on the streets.

I see your point though.

Is it under warranty, I assume? What do you guys do? Install a new replacement? Flush or replace the cooler?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission is exactly why I unloaded my 6 speed 2018 Z71. Always shifted funny, vibrations. Before I got rid of it I took it to dealership. They said, brace yourself, “We couldn’t find anything”, but they said if you want we’ll replace pump for free. He said some are running an extra qt. of transmission fluid. I asked if they’d also replace torque converter. Nope! They also put over 100 miles on it. What a joke, so I unloaded it. My 96 K1500 had less miles and no payments. And it shifts beautifully. Happy to be rid of it!

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So somewhere around 2019? they have removed the transmission dipstick.... was that to save money and let transmissions get intentionally ruined?
You have to remember that we're the minority of vehicle owners. Most transmission dipsticks never get pulled in the life of the vehicle. Why even bother including it?

Of course, people would maintain their vehicles better if dealerships didn't try to pad their pay by charging $500 for an oil change and tire rotation.