5th wheel 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I've installed 100's of Goosenecks and 5th Wheels. Personally I hate 5 wheel hitches. If I had to tow with one, I'd get a B&W Turnover with a 5th wheel Companion adapter. Other than the 4" hole for the ball and 4 1/2" holes for safety chain hooks, there is rarely any drilling... Unlike 5th wheels that require at least 8 1/2" holes in the bed and 4 on each side of your frame.

Having said that, I've installed several Goosenecks in 1/2 ton pickups, and a few 5th wheels. You're fine pulling a 5th wheel or gooseneck as long as you're not exceeding what your vehicle is rated for. I've pulled a few small gooseneck horse trailers and utilities with a 1/2 ton just fine. But if you plan on towing anything large, you need to go bigger.

If you've never pulled a gooseneck or a 5th wheel - it's a heck of a lot easier than tongue pull. WAY easier to back and maneuver, but you have to get used to your turns as the trailer follows you differently than a tongue pull.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as has been stated you can hook to anything and move it, does that mean you should go down the road with it? you can answer that when your half ton brakes fail and you kill people. some people shouldn't drive, let alone tow anything. common sense is in short supply nowadays.

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's always safer to have a little more truck then you actually need.. Better safe than sorry..

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
as has been stated you can hook to anything and move it, does that mean you should go down the road with it? you can answer that when your half ton brakes fail and you kill people. some people shouldn't drive, let alone tow anything. common sense is in short supply nowadays.

Should I Be Worried About Driving To Walmart With My Half Ton Brakes Too??

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Should I Be Worried About Driving To Walmart With My Half Ton Brakes Too??

If you're over 6500 total towed weight (see chart I posted) then yeah, you should be.

Far less likely to get into fade and longer braking distances due to lower speeds, but it's still not going to emergency stop like it should...

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've towed in enough dipsh!ts that totalled out their half ton trucks and trailers from pulling trailers heavier than they should, take a look around a few wrecker yards and scrapyards for the twisted metal remains, plenty of geniuses that thought everything was cool until it all came unglued. One of these ******** killed two people when his out-of-control truck/trailer combo came over the center line and cut the roof right off an oncoming car. First fatality I ever worked.

Richard

98MNChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The previous owner of my truck had a fifth wheel plate installed in the bed of my K1500. He pulled his 25 foot trailer full of cattle a few times a year. So it wasn't on a daily basis, but the truck still pulled it like nothing. Or so I was told. I don't have any personal experience of pulling a fifth wheel with the truck, but I know it can be done.

-Nick

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Able to pull it is only a very small part of the equation. No way it was able to stop safely, or to control the load during emergency maneuvering. Not safe. Not even close. There's really no debate. Sure you can do it, absolutely does not mean you should.

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The previous owner of my truck had a fifth wheel plate installed in the bed of my K1500. He pulled his 25 foot trailer full of cattle a few times a year. So it wasn't on a daily basis, but the truck still pulled it like nothing. Or so I was told. I don't have any personal experience of pulling a fifth wheel with the truck, but I know it can be done.

-Nick

Theres no way in heII that truck pulled a 25ft loaded cattle trailer like "nothing" trust me ive done it in 3/4 tons and you definately still feel it back there