5 lug to 6 lug 14 bolt with GMT900 20's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can help this weekend if your gonna pick it up, and finally see if the hitch will fit or not,lol

Yeah man, that'd be helpful. I do need a hand unloading it. He has a chain hoist so no worries on making the trip to McKinney. I told the guy I'd meet him in McKinney around 10. I desperately need to clean the garage, will prob start on it tonight and finish Sat morning. Just give me a shout man.

Had an MRI on my left knee today, doc thinks I tore my MCL. Wrote a $1500 check for my deductible. That's gonna put this project back a bit.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang man, sorry to hear that, must be going around i had a MRI on my shoulder 2 weeks ago. I still have your number so I will give you a shout to make a plan for Saturday. I will be working on my garage all weekend tryin to fit two bikes and a car, along with all my hobbie crap and tools! I need a bigger garage!

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up a 14 bolt this morning for $250. Had some GMT900 chrome 20's at my dad's and they were stolen a couple days ago. Will be grabbing another set as soon as $$$ is available. Got a helluva deal, only $400 wrapped, so sad to see them gone.

Spent about 4 hours with a wire wheel getting the rust and dirt off. The first two pics don't show much detail but this thing was pretty bad. Was probably sitting in the dirt for a couple months. Getting the drums off was a major PITA. Thank god for the BFH.

Still a lot of cleaning and prep to do before paint.

This project will tackle the following:
GMT 900 20s
New rear brake hardware
New leaf springs
Coat/paint the rear frame
2500 front rotors
New Hawk pads
Gonna do the front end work at the same time

Wow, after putting the list together, this project seems a bit intense. Energy level is high but cash is a bit low right now.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics but it's the only camera I have. I will have a TON of questions, so thanks in advance for helping.

You must be registered for see images attach

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got some more work done yesterday.

Brake assemblies removed.

De-greased it with xylol.

Next weekend I'm taking it to a friends house to sand blast it. My compressor isn't big enough to run one.

There's some pitting on the axle. What is the best way to address this?

I'd like to pull the axle shafts and replace the seals. A couple questions about this:
1. How do I do this?
2. Should I pull the axles before or after sandblasting?

Luke

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the diff cover and get the c clips out then the axle shafts will slide right out.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i re used mine. i honestly could not find where to buy them when i built my 12, and i had forgot i didnt have any so i tore aprt an old 10 bolt to get them. now everytime i come across an open axle i take them just incase lol. if you find a place to buy them let me know!

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed the axle shafts. Took a whole 30 seconds.

Removed the bolt with a 10mm wrench at the top of the carrier.

Slide the pin out.

Pushed both axles in, the C clips fell out.

Pulled the axles straight out.

Now to prep for sandblasting. Gonna be a couple weeks before I get to it though.

Again, sorry for the crappy phone pic but I noticed a couple chipped teeth on a spider gear. Does this mean I need to get a new carrier? The ring gear appears to be in good shape. No chipping or excessive wear. Then again, this is my first experience with this so not totally sure what an acceptable spec/wear is. Guessing I'll probably need to replace it.