5.7L Cold Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Waste of money. Drop in a better filter and drive it.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've just got the K&N drop in filter in mine. From what I've always believed you're not going to get anything noticeable from a CAI unless you've done other major mods to the engine that will demand more air flow. On a stock engine I don't think I'd put a CAI on and I probably wouldn't even with minor engine mods. If I had a built 383 or something I might consider it more.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an AEM dryflow filter and the lid off of the box on my 96 and it's the same as the CAI that I bought for our vortec burb, I agree no need to buy a CAI for these.

jauica's 90

Reaction score
make one!!!!!!! why buy one.. where all capable of doing this! i did...
You must be registered for see images attach

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I jus took off the air silencer box and replaced it with some spectre racing intake tubing and replaced the stock filter with an amsoil replacement and IMO it does just as good as the cai. The silencer restricts a lot of air flow with the funky design

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have also been looking into a CAI for my 95 and have come across a couple of options from Volant, K&N and Outlaw. I think Volant is my best bet but have heard good reviews about Outlaw, but in doing more research, I think that they went out of business. Has anyone tried a Volant or an Outlaw CAI?

I had the K&N "Cold Air Kit" but it was loud and didn't seem to do much. The seal that is supposed to seal the hood to the filter box is a joke, it doesn't contact the hood so you are just sucking hot engine air.

K&N does their dyno testing with the hood open, that is where they get their gains, they have a HUGE fan in front of the vehicle to cool it on the dyno and naturally the cold air from the fan will find its way into the intake.

After the K&N, I went with a Volant and I loved it. I could feel a power difference, it actually is sealed under the hood and used the factory cold air hole in the fender. Plus it was quiet (didn't sound like a central air vacuum when I hit the gas).

Volant air intakes are great...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well remember that that green truck is a TBI motor not a vortec. So is solid94's and so Is mine. I'm sorry but I can't help but disagree with the guys saying it's not "effective" or you need a race motor for it to be?? I've been trying to make my TBI 350 just a better engine so I started with "airflow" modifications. I put on the salad bowl powercharger the funnels air better under the lid along with a TB spacer. Then I deleted my stock airbox since it's supposedly restrictive and put a straight 3" pipe in there to get more flow through the fender and the difference in throttle response and acceleration was night/day especially from about 40-45 and up, it was awesome. I also am about to install the injector spacer when it comes in this week.

Don't go expecting that seat of the pants power difference, it's just a CAI but yes of course it will help your airflow greatly at speeds above 45 and on the highway. I'm not as familiar with how it does on vortecs compared to a TBI but I would think it'd be just as effective. Another thing is you don't have to go spend $3-400 dollars on a big K&N one. They can be had on ebay all day for $50 or less. This includes the chrome piping and the filter. I just ordered a chrome one exactly like the green truck posted above but I plan on running it into the back of the headlight to actually get that direct cold air.

Just search 96-98 cold air intake or just air intake. Of course it makes a difference. Just don't go expecting 10 hp like the box claims like an idiot it's just opening the motor up a little but it does make a difference. I would try to do a combination of things if I were you to really exaggerate the airflow like tb spacer, tornado swirl things, and CAI.

"STROKER ACE"

Reaction score
Anytime you can "speed" up the air by using a less restrictive filter is a plus. also air temp is the key. the colder the air being introduced into the engine the better. remember your only going to free up horse power, not create it.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. Makes alot of sense. Alot of times the horsepower you can free up is usually FREE as well. Just little things you can do even down to what oil you use. I wish someone had engineered a proven badass for sure cold air intake for these OBS trucks. I've seen it mounted in a hole behind the headlight, and down into a diesel bumper, or the stock setup where it comes through our tiny narrow little fenders but I wish there was a better, more proven way.

itst9

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information, you guys are great! So far I have not purchased anything yet but have taken apart the silencer box and noticed that the end that fits into the fender is only 2" ID and funneled up to 3”. Since this is on the inside of the fender and not visible I took the chop saw to it and cut about 1" off of the end to where the opening is 3". Hopefully this will make some difference as it looked to be the most restrictive part of the intake system.