5.7L Cold Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
I searched but found little to no information.

What are your thoughts on these?

I have a 1998 k1500 daily driver. It has the 5.7L Vortec in it. Over the past year since I got it, I have slowly been upgrading things during the summers when I can work and make some money (college student.) Most recently being 17" wheels, new tires, and Flowmaster Super 44 true duels. I'll do a build thread soon :)

Anyway, now I am due for a new air filter. Since the vehicle never goes off road, I was thinking of going with a K&N filter, but I would like to go ahead and do the Cold Air Intake if it will make any noticeable gains.

So, are they worth the $200-300 that they cost? Has anyone used them with the Vortec engine? Or does the stock intake on these flow just fine?

I appreciate the help.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
You don't need a cold air intake on a Vortec engine, it pretty much has one already.

Just get a K&N cylinder air filter, the part number is E-1796.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Both my trucks have 'eBay specials'. Less than $40.00, delivered to my door. Performance gains? I dunno, but that smoother airway has got to be an improvement over the corrugated plastic factory one. I gained a little mileage. I also installed two of those cyclone air spin things inside at the same time. One behind the air cleaner, the other just before the throttle body. Only because I had them laying around. Gotta remember, my trucks are both V6's (yawn) so I'll try just about anything for (cheap) power gains.
The '98, with the 3" exhaust, drowns out the intake noise, but the on the '97, with the stock exhaust, the intake noise kind of drones on long uphills.

97_chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had the whole k&n intake kit on mine it works 100 times better then my stock one did then i put long tube headers and it helped then top it off with a tune.......i bought mine and i was happy its 300 bucks but youll feel the difference with or without other mods

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got one on my avalache but not on my this truck, But it should make a pretty good difference because i can run my truck with the air box off or upside down (old 350 style) and the throttle response is almost instant. Mileage though youll only see a gain at higher rpms like highway speeds because of the smoother constant flow. lower stop and go traffic almost nothing.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
So you all ARE seeing gains with an aftermarket intake vs. the Vortec style intake? Can anyone give me a link to the intake they are using?

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
You don't need a cold air intake on a Vortec engine, it pretty much has one already.

Just get a K&N cylinder air filter, the part number is E-1796.

That's what I have on mine, it gives you maybe 2 more horses, and maybe +1 MPG, not a whole lot of help.

itst9

Reaction score
I have also been looking into a CAI for my 95 and have come across a couple of options from Volant, K&N and Outlaw. I think Volant is my best bet but have heard good reviews about Outlaw, but in doing more research, I think that they went out of business. Has anyone tried a Volant or an Outlaw CAI?