5.7L Cold Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Well remember that that green truck is a TBI motor not a vortec. So is solid94's and so Is mine. I'm sorry but I can't help but disagree with the guys saying it's not "effective" or you need a race motor for it to be?? I've been trying to make my TBI 350 just a better engine so I started with "airflow" modifications. I put on the salad bowl powercharger the funnels air better under the lid along with a TB spacer. Then I deleted my stock airbox since it's supposedly restrictive and put a straight 3" pipe in there to get more flow through the fender and the difference in throttle response and acceleration was night/day especially from about 40-45 and up, it was awesome. I also am about to install the injector spacer when it comes in this week.

Don't go expecting that seat of the pants power difference, it's just a CAI but yes of course it will help your airflow greatly at speeds above 45 and on the highway. I'm not as familiar with how it does on vortecs compared to a TBI but I would think it'd be just as effective. Another thing is you don't have to go spend $3-400 dollars on a big K&N one. They can be had on ebay all day for $50 or less. This includes the chrome piping and the filter. I just ordered a chrome one exactly like the green truck posted above but I plan on running it into the back of the headlight to actually get that direct cold air.

Just search 96-98 cold air intake or just air intake. Of course it makes a difference. Just don't go expecting 10 hp like the box claims like an idiot it's just opening the motor up a little but it does make a difference. I would try to do a combination of things if I were you to really exaggerate the airflow like tb spacer, tornado swirl things, and CAI.

So, essentially what I am getting from some posts is that every little bit helps. But none of the "CAI"s made for the Vortec engines really "force" air into the engine, and most don't even draw from cold air. Tt is more about eliminating the stock somewhat restrictive box and tube.

With that said, how do these eBay finds look?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...Accessories&hash=item564066f611#ht_3092wt_939

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aae1f6ca0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-9...Accessories&hash=item43a946759f#ht_2603wt_886

Most of them seem kind of restrictive with tiny air filters.

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys can't be serious with this cyclone/tornado BS. Seriously?

Yes, every little bit helps, but the differences between the factory intake and any custom setup mentioned in this thread will be negligible. If you want an extra HP or two and you like the sound, you can make your own CAI but I wouldn't recommend spending money on an expensive aftermarket setup, and certainly wouldn't waste time with those gimmick tornado things.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
You guys can't be serious with this cyclone/tornado BS. Seriously?

Yes, every little bit helps, but the differences between the factory intake and any custom setup mentioned in this thread will be negligible. If you want an extra HP or two and you like the sound, you can make your own CAI but I wouldn't recommend spending money on an expensive aftermarket setup, and certainly wouldn't waste time with those gimmick tornado things.

I never really considered the cyclone/tornado things. I figured they would restrict airflow.

On another note, how do you all advise making my own CAI? I figured it would be kind of difficult to include the MAF sensor in tubing.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Anytime you can "speed" up the air by using a less restrictive filter is a plus. also air temp is the key. the colder the air being introduced into the engine the better. remember your only going to free up horse power, not create it.

The problem with that theory is the intake isn't the restriction in the system, it's the throttle body. :read:

Unless you drive around at WOT or 400mph all day you won't see a single benefit from a "cold air" intake or "ram air" setup. In some applications there are benefits if the OEM system is woefully restricted, but those are very few and far between. As for cold air being better, it really depends on the engine. From an efficiency standpoint warmer air is better, to a degree. With a wet intake system like carb/tbi engines have a true cold air intake does very little, if anything to increase peak power. A minor difference in the temperature of the air coming into the throttle body(or carburetor) doesn't transfer into the actual intake charge, due to the latent heat of vaporization from the air and fuel mixing in the intake. An easy demonstration of that is to put your hand at the base of the throttle body on a tbi truck after it's been running for 11 hours straight, it will still be cold from this effect.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a air raid intake kit for free and it made a difference in throttle response but nothing else ill post picks on how it looks after i get my free shorty's on.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
any aftermarket CAI setup is a complete waste of money and time. stock intake on a TBI and Vortec will be plenty good

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys seem to be forgetting a real good unrestricted source of cold air. A lot of you are running cowl hoods-at least it appears that way by your pics-and theres a reason that hood was developed. First gen Camaros put them to real good use. And all the (serious) race cars I have seen with cowl hoods had a box that sealed to the hood/cowl and took advantage of that high pressure area at the base of the windshield. To me, that would be the hot ticket-figure out how to use a flat filter in a tray on top of the motor sealed to the cowl hood.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys seem to be forgetting a real good unrestricted source of cold air. A lot of you are running cowl hoods-at least it appears that way by your pics-and theres a reason that hood was developed. First gen Camaros put them to real good use. And all the (serious) race cars I have seen with cowl hoods had a box that sealed to the hood/cowl and took advantage of that high pressure area at the base of the windshield. To me, that would be the hot ticket-figure out how to use a flat filter in a tray on top of the motor sealed to the cowl hood.

This is all fact, also very expensive and minimal gain on a stock engine. People need to research more and fall into advertising less.

the same intake setup is used for the 454 Vortec trucks as is in the 350 Vortecs and same goes for TBI 454's and smaller so if the stock intake on either engine can feed almost 100+ cu.in. then why can't it comfortably feed a 350.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
All I know is, I got the K&N CAI, and I love it. First, my old K&N filter had shrunk. (Trust me, it was 1/2" too small for diameter, the rubber wouldn't stretch, and it wasn't inside out. I've never seen anything like it.) California tried to fail me when I had my air cleaner lid flipped, and they're crazy picky about custom mods. I got the K&N used at a great deal for the product. Does it give a TON more power? No, but it does dramatically increase response. As for the noise, that's the throttle body sucking in air, and I never heard that with the stock airbox, so that tells me that this flows better. Also, the stock airbox has a silencer. Anything that has a design to quiet airflow, is going to restrict it. Just look at mufflers.