5.7 won’t start-blows air back through TB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Ok! Just like magic is the problem has reappeared. For no apparent reason the 5.7 will not start. One member suggested that I videotape the pulley on the front of the engine to see if it kicks back and turn the opposite direction after i turn key back to neutral position. I believe the comment also suggested possibility of moisture in the description which I have not had time to check yet. Does the attached video shed any additional light on the problem to the generate additional potential diagnosis from members?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lltyma1lv2q07mi/IMG_9106.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here is the video I refered to earlier

Last edited:

SuperTramp

Reaction score
Have you resolved this problem? How did the inside of the cap look?

I haven’t looked under cap yet since I haven’t had the problem and therefore became a low priority. But guess what? It’s back. I’ll have to set up my wood board across the fenders to be able to reach the cap. Here is a video of attempted start today. I was advised by a member to see if the belt pulleys turn backwards once ignition to turned off. It did. Let me know what you think. https://www.dropbox.com/s/lltyma1lv2q07mi/IMG_9106.TRIM.MOV?dl=0

SuperTramp

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED-thank you for all your suggestions. Here it is/ the wires coming through the notch in the distributor cap located on the side closet to the firewall, going to what I was told was the cam position sensor, were getting wet. I removed the cap, disconnected the plug and used silicone to add a watertight seal where the wires went into the plug. I haven’t had a problem since. Knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk