5.7 sputtering issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, my dads truck has been progressively getting worse and worse. Starting a little over a month ago, it started bogging and sputtering while trying to accelerate and backfire through the throttle body pretty bad if you rev it a couple times. It's a stock 94 5.7 vin k that has been well maintained since he bought it back around 06/07.

So far we have replaced:
Vacuum lines
EGR Valve
TP Sensor
Mass air sensor
Full timing set
Fuel Pump
Fuel filter
Spark plugs/wires
Rebuilt throttle body
And I think a couple more things that I can't think of right now.

We aren't getting any codes from the computer and it's still running bad. Anybody have any suggestions of what it might be? We're really hoping it's not something internal.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have the Cap and rotor and
Ignition module been replaced?

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the vehicle is cold and just started does it act the same when the vehicle is warm and up to temperature?

Also is this a intermittent problem or is it always running bad now?

And reason to believe it might have bad fuel or water in the fuel?

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does it warm and cold, all the time. It's not the gas, because we've gone through several tanks since the problem originated.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check it out in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about the coolant temp sensor for the computer....the one by the thermostat not the one on the side of the block as that's for the temp gauge...

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Possibly a bad distributor?

Check this thread out. You've replaced almost everything so this might be a possibility. It's only 4 pages I think. Lemme know what ya think

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2849835/3

So I think that my dads truck has the same issue as that guy. I'll do more research into it and see what I can find. He won't be able to buy a new ECM for it for a couple weeks though. Have bills to take of before we can put more money into the truck. We both have new and newer reliable vehicles and it is not a huge priority at this time. Thanks for the link, that actually helped out quite a bit.

What about the coolant temp sensor for the computer....the one by the thermostat not the one on the side of the block as that's for the temp gauge...

I'll look into it, but thinking it might be the ECM that's causing it. (Thanks again to 90W7 for the link) If I find that it might be that temp sensor, I'll replace it and let you know how it goes.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a problem. Let us know what fixes it, I'm curious too. And someone who Googles the problem your having will most likely get a link here so it helpes lots of people. Good luck!