5.7 Solid Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yeah, "solid" seems like a bad idea. Maybe that's not the right word?

So there's a stamped steel frame mount (clamshell?) That goes over the frame mounting ears or something like that, right?

Then there's a mount that goes between that end the engine (engine mount?) The engine mount has some sort of material that absorbs/isolates vibration from the engine and road bumps, etc. Also allows for a bit of engine rotation when you need to unbolt transmission bell housing bolts for removal.

Everything I have ever seen the "clamshell" is part of the mount. Some of the polyurethane mounts require you to split the "clamshell" and reuse it, but every factory mount comes as a complete assembly. The aftermarket mounts have significantly less rubber and it's low quality compared to the factory stuff.

The engine side has a bracket that slides over the frame side mount. We have always referred to this as the saddle and the entire assemble as saddle mounts.

My catalog will not allow me to copy the diagram.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the frame side mount? 15529450 $44.42 in stock at my contracted dealer.

Little more on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15529450-Original-Equipment-Motor/dp/B010GP7NKS
I don't know the application for that part, but it won't work for a K-series. The Ks use a step in the steel surround that bolts to the frame.

Photo 1. OEM vs. aftermarket junk clamshells for my '88 K1500.
http://hbassociates.us/K1500_Engine_Mounts_03.jpg
You must be registered for see images attach

So there's a stamped steel frame mount (clamshell?) That goes over the frame mounting ears or something like that, right?
Yes. The mount has two steel stampings that surround the rubber isolator insert. Even if the rubber deteriorates, the bolt holding the engine bracket to the mount can't "escape" the clamshell, making it a very safe system--the rubber is never under tension, only compression. The previous design had rubber under tension...and big trouble when the rubber ripped.

Then there's a mount that goes between that end the engine (engine mount?) The engine mount has some sort of material that absorbs/isolates vibration from the engine and road bumps, etc. Also allows for a bit of engine rotation when you need to unbolt transmission bell housing bolts for removal.
The older design had a rubber cushion on the engine side. There was a steel stamping that attached to the frame. A transverse bolt (Chevy) held the two together. The design was poor, with the rubber cushion in tension, or compression depending on engine torque.

Starting in the '70s, the rubber cushion was moved to the frame side, with a stamped-steel bracket on the engine. The frame bracket enclosed the rubber top and bottom (clamshell) so the rubber was never under tension.

Everything I have ever seen the "clamshell" is part of the mount. Some of the polyurethane mounts require you to split the "clamshell" and reuse it, but every factory mount comes as a complete assembly. The aftermarket mounts have significantly less rubber and it's low quality compared to the factory stuff.
I don't know about "less" rubber. What I see is that the steel enclosure for the rubber is made from steel about half the thickness of OEM, and the forming is different, which makes it look like the rubber has more room to move around. I think the more-important visible difference is in the steel enclosure part, not the rubber part. As anything made by the Damned Communist Chinese, quality of the rubber is entirely questionable. I figure if they can't get the steel part right...what chance do they have of making the rubber part correctly?

The engine side has a bracket that slides over the frame side mount. We have always referred to this as the saddle and the entire assemble as saddle mounts
I guess "saddle" is an appropriate term. Not one I've heard before, though. For me, the part attached to the engine is the "bracket" since it's a simple steel stamping.

I expected to replace my 300K mile original mounts when I slapped the new engine in a couple years ago. Bought the Poly inserts (didn't fit) and bought the aftermarket replacement mounts (fookin' junk). In the end--although I didn't really want to--I put the original mounts back in. I don't know that the ancient rubber is doing a proper job of cushioning, but I have no concerns about SAFETY. These mounts are not going to fail in a way that causes any sort of safety hazard. That was not true of the older design, with rubber under tension. One of the biggest recalls up to that time (1968?) was when GM finally acknowledged that the previous mount design was faulty. GM installed restraint cables on millions upon millions of engines because the mounts tore under tension, the engine lifted, and with throttle linkages instead of throttle cables, when the engine lifted, it pulled the throttle OPEN. When the engine lifted far enough, it tore the vacuum hose off the brake booster.

Imagine Grandma accelerating around a left-hand corner, and the throttle pulls itself open at the same time that the brake booster quits working. Folks died. Cars wrecked. Underwear soiled.

Last edited:

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
I don't know the application for that part, but it won't work for a K-series. The Ks use a step in the steel surround that bolts to the frame.

Yes. The mount has two steel stampings that surround the rubber isolator insert. Even if the rubber deteriorates, the bolt holding the engine bracket to the mount can't "escape" the clamshell, making it a very safe system--the rubber is never under tension, only compression. The previous design had rubber under tension...and big trouble when the rubber ripped.

The older design had a rubber cushion on the engine side. There was a steel stamping that attached to the frame. A transverse bolt (Chevy) held the two together. The design was poor, with the rubber cushion in tension, or compression depending on engine torque.

Starting in the '70s, the rubber cushion was moved to the frame side, with a stamped-steel bracket on the engine. The frame bracket enclosed the rubber top and bottom (clamshell) so the rubber was never under tension.

I don't know about "less" rubber. What I see is that the steel enclosure for the rubber is made from steel about half the thickness of OEM, and the forming is different, which makes it look like the rubber has more room to move around. I think the more-important visible difference is in the steel enclosure part, not the rubber part. As anything made by the Damned Communist Chinese, quality of the rubber is entirely questionable. I figure if they can't get the steel part right...what chance do they have of making the rubber part correctly?

I guess "saddle" is an appropriate term. Not one I've heard before, though. For me, the part attached to the engine is the "bracket" since it's a simple steel stamping.

I expected to replace my 300K mile original mounts when I slapped the new engine in a couple years ago. Bought the Poly inserts (didn't fit) and bought the aftermarket replacement mounts (fookin' junk). In the end--although I didn't really want to--I put the original mounts back in. I don't know that the ancient rubber is doing a proper job of cushioning, but I have no concerns about SAFETY. These mounts are not going to fail in a way that causes any sort of safety hazard. That was not true of the older design, with rubber under tension. One of the biggest recalls up to that time (1968?) was when GM finally acknowledged that the previous mount design was faulty. GM installed restraint cables on millions upon millions of engines because the mounts tore under tension, the engine lifted, and with throttle linkages instead of throttle cables, when the engine lifted, it pulled the throttle OPEN. When the engine lifted far enough, it tore the vacuum hose off the brake booster.

Imagine Grandma accelerating around a left-hand corner, and the throttle pulls itself open at the same time that the brake booster quits working. Folks died. Cars wrecked. Underwear soiled.

You're right the K series mount is 15659675 and shows as discontinued. I didn't see where K series was mentioned and defaulted to C series out of habit.

I'm not sure who's mount you were comparing but I was looking at an Anchor mount vs GM mount. I was having a hard time justifying paying $45 vs $10. I took a Anchor mount to the dealer to compare and what I saw was the rubber inside was about half the size as the factory and the rubber was much softer. At that point I don't think I paid much attention to the quality of the metal, I was sold on the price difference being justified.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just bought the C1500 5.7 AcDelco 15529450...Chinesium, now. Never occurred to me the Energy Suspension poly inserts (package underneath the mounts) would not fit!!!

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just bought the C1500 5.7 AcDelco 15529450...Chinesium, now. Never occurred to me the Energy Suspension poly inserts (package underneath the mounts) would not fit!!!

I just installed these and long story short, they do fit but not without persuasion. You need to separate the shell (I used a step bit to drill out rivets) and then place shell in a vice and do not use zip ties! I had a shop tack weld the bracket back together to hold the ends together while the poly mount was compressed in the vice and then re-install. My local shop was like this might not work at first glance but then with a little elbow grease it all comes together. I suppose you could shave some of the poly down but I opted not too. I paired this with the poly tranny mount and things are solid, little to no cab vibrations vs. stock and now with them installed I cant really tell... my old mounts were shot, torn and dry rotted.

The instructions are very vague- I had to pioneer a new way as I was determined to get these in! I would do these again and much better than a solid mount IMHO. Solid mounting is really for drag racing formats only.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yep, plus it pulls the gas pedal all the way too the floor and knocks you back in the seat while going full throttle with no brakes while you try to find the key to shut the damn thing off.
Been there, done that.
Twice.
No underwear was soiled because of extreme clenching.
I really dont recommend it

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Ok, well I suppose they would "give" slightly but these are a different design from the original ones on our trucks.

https://www.offroaddesign.com/competition-style-motor-mounts-for-88-98-gm-4wd-truck.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good to know there's an option out there. Thanks for sharing! I've had like a 3 or 4 Hz "shudder," when letting the clutch out on my truck since I got it (only noticeable from a dead stop). Thought it might've been oily clutch contamination. New engine, clutch, resurfaced flywheel, and closely inspected motor mounts when everything was out...They didn't seem bad? Still haven't deciphered if it's motor mounts or spring wrap causing it.

Last edited: