4x4 flipped 4door tahoe questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slitterman

Reaction score
hello all. picked up a 97 a week ago. 88k original mile truck been sitting a while but clean.
came with 16s and tires that were all cracked up- found some clist wheels and good tires- 20s for 230. purchased. did front brakes. put wheels on, turned down the stock torsion bar keys a bit.

want the truck lower. looked at lowering keys but saw a bunch of issues getting them out - so not sure its worth the pItA. for 100 keys- or spend 2 and get good spindles. read djm- might be the way to go- won't push wheels out.. my cheepo craigslist purchase was good to me on one end. 5 wheels and tires with good meat for cheep. but i dont like the way the front tires stick out - rears are good and will tuck if i lower. but the fronts- not so happy right now. but know with spindles id need bigger wheels so for now- they will do.

was under the truck this weekend checking things out. i was gonna put shackles i have in the garage on but didn't want the rear lower than the front.

so the question now- can i use 98 silverado flip kit instead of paying more for a 4x4 kit?
also- while under the truck, looks like getting the leaf spring off the side with the Gas Tank, might be hard.
dont look like theres a way to get the bolt out..
ill be flipping on the floor in my garage. how do you guys do it????
do i need to find the size of stock bolts and nuts and buy 6 new ones for each side and cut out the old?

appreciate any help - direction- pics that you guys can send my way.

j from jersey

lowcheve

Reaction score
hello all. picked up a 97 a week ago. 88k original mile truck been sitting a while but clean.
came with 16s and tires that were all cracked up- found some clist wheels and good tires- 20s for 230. purchased. did front brakes. put wheels on, turned down the stock torsion bar keys a bit.

want the truck lower. looked at lowering keys but saw a bunch of issues getting them out - so not sure its worth the pItA. for 100 keys- or spend 2 and get good spindles. read djm- might be the way to go- won't push wheels out.. my cheepo craigslist purchase was good to me on one end. 5 wheels and tires with good meat for cheep. but i dont like the way the front tires stick out - rears are good and will tuck if i lower. but the fronts- not so happy right now. but know with spindles id need bigger wheels so for now- they will do.

was under the truck this weekend checking things out. i was gonna put shackles i have in the garage on but didn't want the rear lower than the front.

so the question now- can i use 98 silverado flip kit instead of paying more for a 4x4 kit?
also- while under the truck, looks like getting the leaf spring off the side with the Gas Tank, might be hard.
dont look like theres a way to get the bolt out..
ill be flipping on the floor in my garage. how do you guys do it????
do i need to find the size of stock bolts and nuts and buy 6 new ones for each side and cut out the old?

appreciate any help - direction- pics that you guys can send my way.

j from jersey
You will need to drop the gas tank, just undo the straps and lower it with a floor jack, no need to undo any fuel lines, also could look into drop hangers, the leaf spring bolt will be above the frame rail after the drop hanger is installed, mine is 2wd so not sure how much different they are.
You must be registered for see images attach

slitterman

Reaction score
You will need to drop the gas tank, just undo the straps and lower it with a floor jack, no need to undo any fuel lines, also could look into drop hangers, the leaf spring bolt will be above the frame rail after the drop hanger is installed, mine is 2wd so not sure how much different they are.
You must be registered for see images attach

thanks for reply- dam- was hoping i didn't have to touch the tank. one of the flaws of my New to me truck- gauge dont read right- put 40 in for the drive home- then 3 days ago put 80 to fill.
no clue what i should expect to get mile wise for the 80 i put in- but thats on the list of things to do-

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
I have a 4x4 2500 but it is a truck. the bolts were also close to the tank and under the body enough i couldnt pound them out. i did buy some lag bolts to replace the ones i cut. puting some gear oil on the bolts and turning them with the ratchet after you get the nuts off will let the bolt slide from the bushing easier i found.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for reply- dam- was hoping i didn't have to touch the tank. one of the flaws of my New to me truck- gauge dont read right- put 40 in for the drive home- then 3 days ago put 80 to fill.
no clue what i should expect to get mile wise for the 80 i put in- but thats on the list of things to do-
Well if the gauge doesn't read properly, you probably need to drop the tank anyway, might as well do it all at once.