4l60e replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyd

Reaction score
I couldn't find any threads when searching this, but who makes a good stock 4l60e transmission. I have a 1993 k2500 5.7 with the 4l60e that has a crack by where it meets up with the transfer case and am looking at having to replace it. Thanks for the help.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would steer clear of Monster if I were you. I've heard a ton of horror stories about them.

skyd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I read the horror stories about monster and a lot of others. I ended up going to a shop that has done some work for me and getting a local one they use that they said they’ve never had one come back with problems.
Here's a picture of the tranny. It broke by the connection to the transfer case View media item 31606
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you found someone local. That's what I always recommend.

mistaake

Reaction score
In the future, consider purchasing a transmission at O'Reilly. They're done by ETE reman as far as I know and the warranty is good. If I needed one that's where I'd buy it.

Also if I ever need an engine I'm gonna go that route. They're surprisingly cheap!

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that the trans case or the transfer case adapter between the trans and transfer case? If it's the adapter there are 2 types, 1 is aluminum and the other is cast iron. If aluminum adapter breaks you might try a cast iron one, I would think the cast iron one might be a little stronger.

skyd

Reaction score
Is that the trans case or the transfer case adapter between the trans and transfer case? If it's the adapter there are 2 types, 1 is aluminum and the other is cast iron. If aluminum adapter breaks you might try a cast iron one, I would think the cast iron one might be a little stronger.
Unfortunately it’s the trans case. I wish it was the adapter, but no such luck.

skyd

Reaction score
In the future, consider purchasing a transmission at O'Reilly. They're done by ETE reman as far as I know and the warranty is good. If I needed one that's where I'd buy it.

Also if I ever need an engine I'm gonna go that route. They're surprisingly cheap!
I looked at the transmissions from the auto stores. Pretty much all the parts stores carry remans from ete, but i read too many reviews saying they would go out after about 20 miles. I’m moving and am going to be pulling a trailer 2000 miles, so i don’t want to mess around with bad trannies. If you have to get an engine i’d go with a gm goodwrench. They’re brand new and only $100-$200 more than orileys plus they come with a 3 year 100000 mile warranty. I did that last year.

mistaake

Reaction score
I looked at the transmissions from the auto stores. Pretty much all the parts stores carry remans from ete, but i read too many reviews saying they would go out after about 20 miles. I’m moving and am going to be pulling a trailer 2000 miles, so i don’t want to mess around with bad trannies. If you have to get an engine i’d go with a gm goodwrench. They’re brand new and only $100-$200 more than orileys plus they come with a 3 year 100000 mile warranty. I did that last year.
If I was buying retail I would buy the GM engine, but I get employee discount at the parts store, so it's a few hundred bucks cheaper.