4L60E Need to figure out a plan for rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but who NEEDS performance anything? I don't want to wait until I up the engine output to fry a transmission to NEED a performance tranny. I'd just as soon do it now.

On that note, spent hours at the littlerock PickNPull. Nothing there. I found lots of 4l60E, but no 4l65E.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned my K1500 since summer of '97. Somewhere over 310,000 miles (the odometer has needed repair twice.)

The trans failed in '99, I think, and again about a year ago. Same shop rebuilt it both times.

Both times, the planetaries were totally wiped-out. Broken teeth, bad roller bearings on the planet gears. The 2--4 band shed most of the friction material this time, that was probably the "last straw" but the planetaries would have exploded pretty soon even if the band had been OK.

The story I get is that I spend too much time in OD with the converter unlocked, which somehow disables the lube to the geartrain. In other words, I drive too fast. Not sure I'm buying that story--but they're the experts, not me.

Point is, I don't care about hardened shafts, but I could be interested in 5-planet gear assemblies. The shop that did my overhaul doesn't seem to use them, they say they've had as many failures with the 5-planet assembly as with the 4-planet assembly.

And, again...my 1--2 shift is way firmer than I'd prefer; which wasn't an issue with the stock servo.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's been a bit, but I thought I'd leave a "finished" status update on it.

I used all the Sonnax level2 stuff, except I used the billiet sonnax 1-2 servo instead of the corvette servo. The torque converter is a Hughes GM22xltm (1800 stall).

Just took it for a test drive. Drives really well. All shifts very firm. Snappy is probably a better description. 1-2 is harsh for a driver, but I can live with it. A normal person, not into performance, would hate it.

Needs more motor and deeper gears. Currently has stock hi-mileage 350 TBI and 3.08 rearend. Plan is to redo rear-end next. Then Lowering kit, wheels and tires. After that motor, then body work. The never ending saga continues.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used all the Sonnax level2 stuff, except I used the billiet sonnax 1-2 servo instead of the corvette servo... Drives really well. All shifts very firm. Snappy is probably a better description. 1-2 is harsh for a driver, but I can live with it. A normal person, not into performance, would hate it.
Thanks for saying that! I haven't ordered my 1-2 accumulator parts yet and I was wondering if I should go stock, Corvette, or billet. I think I'll go with the 'vette servo. We're about to start a cold snap next weekend, so I'm probably going to put off starting my trans rebuild another two weeks.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, I wish now that I'd gone with the vette servo. I can at least pull it and re-do with the trans still in the truck if it gets to be too much.

The billet servo is driveable on the street, but it'd be better in a vehicle that doesn't see alot of street time.