4L60E Need to figure out a plan for rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1993 SWB has the typical 4L60E failure, I've basically got R 1-2, and 3-4 are toast. Pretty typical really. I started to gather parts (without any plan) for a rebuild. Then life / money happened and I had to shelve it for a few months. Long story short, I'm back to looking at it, but I want to make a more organized effort in my rebuild planning, and I'd really appreciate some input.

My previous quasi plan was to gather most of the parts for a level 2 build from Sonnax.
https://www.sonnax.com/tech_resources/617-4l60e-performance-heavy-duty-transmission-build-charts

I have already acquired the following from the level 2 list:

Performance Pack HP-4L60E-01
SmartShell® Heavy Duty Reaction Shell Kit 77749-02K
Rear Stator Support Bushing 77002BT-01
Heavy Duty 2-3 Shift Valve 77754-41
Kevlar® Extra Wide Intermediate Band 77700-01K
Input Drum Reinforcement Kit 77733-51K
4th Gear Super Hold Servo 77767K

I also got the 2nd gear servo recommended for the level 3 build.
2nd Gear Super Hold Servo 77911-03K

I have not yet gotten...
Heavy Duty 3-4 Clutch Backing Plate Kit 74140-01K
because I was considering going all in on the level 3 with the custom input drum. I have since changed my mind, cause even level 2 is way overkill here for my application.

What I can think of that I still need:
Aluminum Pan
New Input Drum (for extra wide kevlar band)
Steels and clutches.
Gaskets.
Torque Converter.
Filter.
Solenoids.

What about upgrading planetary sets?

I should mention that I have a junkyard core that I plan to rebuild so as not to leave the truck stranded while I work on it.

What am I missing parts wise?

What about the wire harness? Should I try to find a new one?

Should I try and snag a master rebuild kit in addition to the parts listed, or try to find the stuff separately?

For a stock rebuild, I'd just grab an ATP kit, but I've already invested some cash in really good parts, and I want to keep that level of quality going. Are three better quality brands that I should look into?

Who makes NEW input drums? Sonnax only has their custom ones listed.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I forgot to mention this is a stock daily driver. With future dreams. The overkill build is to support anything I might dream up later.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I emailed Sonnax to ask about my 700R4, they highly recommended getting high-friction steels and clutches.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything I'm finding online is recommending Borg Warner Hi Energy clutches. I just can't find anyone that sells them. Especially as that's a vague-ish description.

A little digging later, it seems to be that the clutches are stock GM units for the 4l65E.

Is that correct? If so, anybody know a part # and/or a source?

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to order trans parts from Transtar and a quick google of the BW High Energy popped up a rebuild kit with the Transtar name. Might be worth a shot to look them up.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like Borg Warner puts out a clutch kit with the High Energy 3-4 clutches in it.
BorgWarner 34036KIT Friction Pack 4L60/E 87-UP w/High Energy 3/4 (.80)

Contains:
Borg Warner 30824AM Friction, Forward (.070")
Borg Warner 28455AM Friction, Overrun 4L60E

Borg Warner 27637AM Friction, 3-4 Clutch (.080")
Borg Warner 28831AM Friction, Low/Reverse
Borg Warner 26014AM Friction, Reverse Input

Sadly, no steels yet. Still looking.
If I can find the steels, then I should just need a basic rebuild kit???

Lots of sales BS out there. Kind of a mess to dig through.

ODaily

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to order trans parts from Transtar

Did some digging on it. Looks like PN 74006EAF is the kit I need. Strangely, I don't know if I can order from Transtar directly. They have a location nearish me, or I might just phone call them. I can also find the kit online a few places. Thanks for the reference.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is a daily driver this is what I have had really good luck with. I used this build in my suburban and I could not be more pleased. I used option A sonnax heavy duty truck build and also did the 2nd gear servo along with the 4th gear. I used a $250 rebuild kit from Amazon that literally had everything with 9 pack red clutches. For clearances I used .075 on the servo .045 on the 3-4 clutches and standards for everything else. I used the biggest Derale 19 row cooler with -6 AN fittings. It does whatever I want it to do and stays @ 150 degrees towing cruising with AC on. I did everything myself and it still cost around $800 but I could not be more pleased. I used a stock converter and run 275 tires with 3.73 gears. I have zero complaints.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How timely, I'm getting ready to rebuild my L460E with similar stage, too. Sonnax is the way to go. I'm definitely going with the 5 pinion carriers!!!