488 8.0l GM Crate Motor -- Any experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So while this is tempting, I have been doing a lot of research. I think I am planning a 6bt/nv4500 swap. I would also swap to the manual shift t/case. Now I have to start pricing everything out. Convinced the wife that I am never getting rid of the truck. So she is more willing to let me spend money.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked one of these up locally from an industrial LP application. This is a Gen 6 BBC tall deck with all the $$ upgrades:
-fully adjustable valvetrain on Gen 6 heads
-8.1L Camshaft and firing order
-58x reluctor on the snout
-4x cam pickup on the front cover
-oil pump drive stub shaft (no distributor needed)
-Forged internally balanced crank
-Forged rods
-4-bolt mains
-0.020" over bore
-skirt coated pistons
-stock gmt400 accessories will bolt on

I will try and get some pictures when I build this for my 2000CCLB. I want to start out with the factory manifold.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked one of these up locally from an industrial LP application. This is a Gen 6 BBC tall deck with all the $$ upgrades:
-fully adjustable valvetrain on Gen 6 heads
Surprised that it's not "net lash" like the other Gen 5/6 engines.
-stock gmt400 accessories will bolt on
Even with a tall-deck block lifting the heads .400"? Anything that bolts to both the block and the heads would have to be drilled with both sets of holes for the two head heights.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heads I have seen reports of having a bit better port, but did not keep them long enough to verify. Sold the heads to someone looking for adjustable valve train

Last edited:

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say get a LS 408 swap going. Tall deck would be a nightmare to get anything to fit. I'd go 598 BPE short block with L29 heads, dual plane intake and holley terminator efi if not LS swapping.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even with a tall-deck block lifting the heads .400"? Anything that bolts to both the block and the heads would have to be drilled with both sets of holes for the two head heights.
Very good point! I had to go check this and the only item on the 7.4 that bolts to the block and head is the Cast Iron AC bracket with the power steering pump tab to boot.