488 8.0l GM Crate Motor -- Any experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently concluded the L29 454 in my 99 K2500 burb is dead. Looking at options for a replacement, and one that really piques my interest is the 488 Crate Engine. It's a tall deck big block built with towing in mind. I have seen a few posts here and there where it was mentioned. I was curious if anyone here has actually utilized this motor in their vehicle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't used one and haven't heard of anybody that has; seems like a decent boost in power over the L29 but I wonder what it really makes using the L29 intake, injectors, etc. since the numbers they claim appear to have been achieved using a carb intake and unknown actual fuel delivery method. They only mentioned that GMPP 88961161 intake was used in development, which is a single plane 4 barrel carb intake. I'd wonder what specific combination was used to reach the advertised 375HP/475tq, and what grade of fuel considering the 9.9:1 CR

Richard

1952Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't used one and haven't heard of anybody that has; seems like a decent boost in power over the L29 but I wonder what it really makes using the L29 intake, injectors, etc. since the numbers they claim appear to have been achieved using a carb intake and unknown actual fuel delivery method. They only mentioned that GMPP 88961161 intake was used in development, which is a single plane 4 barrel carb intake. I'd wonder what specific combination was used to reach the advertised 375HP/475tq, and what grade of fuel considering the 9.9:1 CR

Richard
My thoughts as well. Seems like it could be a great improvement, but there are so many unknowns at the moment. Multiple forums popped up where people mentioned it as an option, but none that I have found where anyone actually installed it and ran it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're proud of it....
.030 over 454 with a 1/4" stroke.
You can get a crate 8.1 for considerably less coin.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're proud of it....
.030 over 454 with a 1/4" stroke.
You can get a crate 8.1 for considerably less coin.
Pretty much price expected of a real GM crate engine. Almost same exact price as a crate L29, which is probably why he's interested. If you go 8.1 it's gonna be aftermarket rebuild at this point as GM has forgotten they exist, apparently. ;)

I've always felt like the trick for getting an 8.1 into a GMT400 would be to score a 2001-2002 3500HD and pull the engine, PCM, engine harness, and directly-related accessories like the air filter and such..

Richard

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much price expected of a real GM crate engine. Almost same exact price as a crate L29, which is probably why he's interested. If you go 8.1 it's gonna be aftermarket rebuild at this point as GM has forgotten they exist, apparently. ;)
I see no significant ROI over getting a short block 454.
I've always felt like the trick for getting an 8.1 into a GMT400 would be to score a 2001-2002 3500HD and pull the engine, PCM, engine harness, and directly-related accessories like the air filter and such..
If I go that route with the dually, this is my plan.