Old 454 Crate Motor Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing how there's a mechanical fuel pump bolted to the block there's no way it could be a GenV.
The Gen V "Bowtie" block had fuel pump provisions, I think--but they wouldn't have used it for a crate engine.

SOME Gen VI blocks had fuel pump provisions--but not the ones installed on the vehicle assembly lines.

I'm still weirded out as to how GenV heads on a GenVI block are OK as vise versa is not so much from what I understand.
The incompatibility was in the block, not in the heads. The Gen V block was an engineering mess; which is why the Gen VI got the nickname "Gen Fix".

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The Gen V "Bowtie" block had fuel pump provisions, I think--but they wouldn't have used it for a crate engine.

SOME Gen VI blocks had fuel pump provisions--but not the ones installed on the vehicle assembly lines.

The incompatibility was in the block, not in the heads.

Ahh, well that makes sense. Seeing how this is a crate and not a production engine I wonder what other differences there are between it and the engine in my dually.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously, the lack of a roller cam on the crate engine.

Probably no crank position sensor. No promises on what it's got for a timing set--single-row roller, double-row roller, "silent" chain.

And among the worst cylinder heads offered on BBC passenger-car or light trucks. (Some of the heavy truck/tall deck engines got small-block-size valve diameters.)

Guys have ported the "round-port" heads and made real power with them, but as-cast they're a restriction.

The Gen VI "swirl-port" heads are better as-cast, and of course have a modern combustion chamber. Even so, until they're ported they're "all done" at about 5K.

I pulled the crappy "round-port" heads off my boat engine, replaced them with L29 "Vortec" Gen VI heads, and gained about 200--300 rpm at WFO. Less than I expected, considering the round-ports had bad valves.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know these numbers are always a bit optimistic, but even at 400 crank I'd be pretty happy as I could spray my way higher.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...s-to-add-more-power-your-mild-big-block-chevy

It really depends on what heads I can find cheap. I need to research old school casting numbers in case I stumble across some decent offerings. I also need to swing by my local machine shop of choice as he eats, sleeps, and breathes BBC and would certainly have valuable info and maybe even a set of heads on the shelf.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
049s and 781s are the best oval ports going. All I've ran, save for aluminum bowtie heads.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dividing line for me is whether they need guides and/or hardened exhaust seats.

I can grind valves, I can grind seats. My equipment is antique, I'll spend more time doing the work than a professional, and I might have to buy pilots if the guides aren't common-sized. But I can do that much work.

I can not install hardened seat inserts, and I can't do guides.

Too bad you're not near me. I've got a couple pair of 049s that I'm not likely to need--I've been robbing the rocker studs from them for other projects. Actually considered chaining one or two to my riding lawn mower for winter weight while pushing the snow-blower attachment. Decided that wasn't the best use of what are probably still good core heads. I think I've still got the heads that came off my boat; those were junk when they were new.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first big block was a 73 454 with the 049s. When i had the heads rebuilt, they already had the hardened seats. I think it's only earlier than that were hardened is needed....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You're in MI aren't you Schurkey?

I'm in Michigan, I was thinking he's in Wisconsin but I don't know that for sure.

Where are you Suoercharged111? I have a set of the Vortec heads that I wouldn't mind selling, but I don't want to ship..... They're like 72lbs each.