454 tbi with 4l85E swap into c1500 350tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done an apples to apples comparison between the gen 5 tbi big block and the gen 6 vortec big block. I have a nice virgin gen 4 short block and a complete gen 6 mpfi system to play with. I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort to change over. If so I would need to decide on cylinder heads. I know the L29 heads are popular with their 100cc quick burn chambers.

The big difference between GenV and VI is the use of a roller cam. There are also water passage hole differences to watch when swapping heads between gens.

As an aside, I see here in TX if I want to license it as an Antique Truck, it is supposed to have matching serial numbers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I want to license it as an Antique Truck, it is supposed to have matching serial numbers.
Do they restrict who is authorized to stamp those numbers? If not, stamp the vehicle VIN number into everything else, and "wallah" you're matching-numbers.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I see here in TX if I want to license it as an Antique Truck, it is supposed to have matching serial numbers.
Wow, that's weird, in AZ I didn't have to even bring my truck in to Motor Vehicles Division, I did it on line (just has to be >25 years old). Plus, with "collector car" insurance, it's emissions exempt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, that's weird, in AZ I didn't have to even bring my truck in to Motor Vehicles Division, I did it on line (just has to be >25 years old). Plus, with "collector car" insurance, it's emissions exempt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Don't they give you a mileage cap with that?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't they give you a mileage cap with that?
Not really, I have Farmers insurance, they say it's for going to rallies, car shows, and occasionally hauling stuff. They said, they can cancel my insurance if I drive it too much but, that's not cut in stone. I also had to declare what my truck is worth in case it's stolen or some other "comprehensive" (AKA Fire Theft and Wind) claim, I have it insured for $13K since I have more than that sunk into it ($6200 original purchase in 2002 and $10K in upgraded parts). Hell, I'm retired and don't use it much. Normally we will take another vehicle when we do something together, she doesn't like my truck much, LOL.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooray! Hit 25 years this year and didn't have to have an emissions inspection. Had I not just installed a good Magnaflow Cat 2 years ago, I'd be giving that to the recycler.
So its a free for all now with the mods, although I'm pretty happy with it after a end-to-end complete tune.

The TX "Antique Truck" plate requires matching numbers (enforced how, other than a 454 1500 might raise an eyebrow) and you must limit the usage to collector car shows and similar venues, not for GP use. However a regular tag with no emissions and full unlimited use is only ~$80.

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they restrict who is authorized to stamp those numbers? If not, stamp the vehicle VIN number into everything else, and "wallah" you're matching-numbers.

We built a food trailer and I stamped the VIN into that. Quite satisfying. It is idle however after friends opened brick-n-mortar, only to be slammed by the CoV.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hooray! Hit 25 years this year and didn't have to have an emissions inspection. Had I not just installed a good Magnaflow Cat 2 years ago, I'd be giving that to the recycler.
So its a free for all now with the mods, although I'm pretty happy with it after a end-to-end complete tune.

The TX "Antique Truck" plate requires matching numbers (enforced how, other than a 454 1500 might raise an eyebrow) and you must limit the usage to collector car shows and similar venues, not for GP use. However a regular tag with no emissions and full unlimited use is only ~$80.
That's the difference between the "antique " and "classic " plates, right? The mileage restrictions? IIRC that's what it used to be, when Texas DOT came up with the program. Also in Texas the antique plates are renewed every 5 years instead of annually. Texas also has (guess they still have) a year-- of-manufacture tag program for older vehicles where you can use new--old--stock plates from the year the vehicle was originally built. I've known a few vintage plate dealers who sold many plates for that purpose. I have a pair of vintage NOS 1953s for my really old truck with that in mind.
Again, sorry for the thread wandering....but I'd love to hear updates from the OP.

PRAUK

Reaction score
i swapped a 93 454 tbi and 80e into my 67 impala. Completely worth it. great torque and driveablility. I didnt use the hydroboost. i swapped a vacuum fitting into the manifold and used vacuum brakes. used all the serp belt and accessories. installed the ecu and redid the harness to it. Simple. Just take your time and don't miss any of the wires. Then do burnouts!