4 Hi Headlight Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Did the 4HI mod today. Looks great except for one of my burned out low beams. Oh well, HID's will be here from HIDGate by Saturday. Will post up pics of the 4HI with two HIDS and with my newly smoked corner markers.

Charlesburk

Reaction score
Me and my dad did this to my truck. I absolutely love it. HIDs are in the mix at some point, and even some silverstars for my H3 foglights.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is This leagal

Yes. There are plenty of vehicles that come from the factory that use all 4 lights with the highs, my CTS is an example of one. It is legal to have 4 lights on. Lowbeams and highs, lows and fogs, etc. 6 lights on would be illegal though.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. There are plenty of vehicles that come from the factory that use all 4 lights with the highs, my CTS is an example of one. It is legal to have 4 lights on. Lowbeams and highs, lows and fogs, etc. 6 lights on would be illegal though.

I was wondering because you still are modifying the lights yet again i have never met a police officer or inspection person that cares about low beams and high beams on at the same time

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...i have never met a police officer or inspection person that cares about low beams and high beams on at the same time

Because it's perfectly legal. Most cars on the road with quad headlights use all 4 with the highs. It's mostly GM that turns off the lows with highs. It's not a legal requirement.

n-motion

Reaction score
Just Completed The 4 Hi Mod The Other Day And Love It!

Heres A Few Pictures -

Low-

You must be registered for see images attach

4 Hi -

4 Hi Relay-

jshawag12

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so do i need one of the relays that 97c1500 and then another setup for HIDs? can someone send me a link for some for my truck in my sig....looking for lights in the 4000-5000k range nothing to blue...out here in westexas (yep all one word) its better to see deer way down the road...can you do HIDs in low and high beams? i probably need new headlights also mine are pretty foggy and starting to crack so if there is a total complete setup that would be great....TIA

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so do i need one of the relays that 97c1500 and then another setup for HIDs?

Don't confuse the hi-4 relay setup with the relay harness for HIDs. The hi-4 is simply that; it makes all for headlights come on with highbeams. The relay harness for HIDs is used to supply clean, constant power to the HIDs.

From my experience, the late GMT-400 trucks need the relay harness with HIDs. I've installed HIDs on a '97 and a '98 and they both needed the harness. I've installed them on a '91 and a '94 and didn't need it. The tell tale signs are flickering and one light not always coming on. On my '98, the passenger side HID wouldn't always come on when I turned on the headlights. Turn the switch off and then on quickly and it would come on, but it was a nuissance. I installed a relay harness and all is well now.

can someone send me a link for some for my truck in my sig....looking for lights in the 4000-5000k range nothing to blue...out here in westexas (yep all one word) its better to see deer way down the road...

www.ddmtuning.com
www.vvme.com
myworld.ebay.com/hidgate

These are the 3 places I have purchased HIDs from. DDM Tuning and HIDgate are the least expensive at just over $40 shipped when I last purchased. VVME was around $60 shipped. The whitest HIDgate sells is 5000K, which is pushing the line of being too blue for me. DDM Tuning has 4500K (which I have in my Suburban). That 500K difference is definitely noticeable and I really like the 4500K better than the 5000K. VVME goes as white as 4300K. A friend of mine has them in his truck and they look great. You can get 35w and 55w HIDs from DDM Tuning, but I do NOT recommend 55w for lowbeams. It's way more than is needed and will cause glare for other drivers. I've been on the receiving end of 55w HIDs and I was pretty pissed off about it.

can you do HIDs in low and high beams?

You can. I see no point in doing it in the highs, though. It takes a good 7-10 seconds for the HIDs to reach full intensity, so if you use your highs in a flash-to-pass capacity, they would be pointless because they wouldn't be bright enough to make a difference.

i probably need new headlights also mine are pretty foggy and starting to crack so if there is a total complete setup that would be great....TIA

TYC used to make a really nice bolt-in/plug-and-play set of headlights for these trucks. It had a nice set of diamond clear headlights designed specifically for HIDs, 4300K HID lowbeams and even had the hi-4 built-in. Unfortunately, they have been discontinued. Without doing a full-on HID projector retrofit in a set of lights, the best setup I have experienced is a set of TYC Elegante non-HID headlights. That is what I'm running in my Suburban with 4500K DDM HIDs and hi-4.